S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

'whining' noise from my tranny

Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 'whining' noise from my tranny

So I bought my 2002 S about 2 months ago, and since then I've noticed a whining noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. There is also another noise that has to do with the clutch being depressed while stopped. I don't know what could be making these noises, I am thinking it's the throw-out bearing, but I'm not sure, can some of you help me out on this please?

1st noise:
When moving (clutch depressed, engaged, it doesn't matter, the noise is always there) there is a whining noise from what seems like the transmission area. It is to do with the speed I am traveling because it gets a little louder when I go faster. When going above about 80 you can't really tell that it's getting louder, but that is probably because of the wind noise increasing as well. I replaced the transmission fluid a month and a half ago, and it only has 1400 miles on that fluid. I used Honda MTF fluid. I also replaced the diff. fluid at the same time, and used the recommended weight diff fluid, but I can't remember exactly what type of fluid I used. The car was making the noise before I changed the fluids, but having driven an old miata a fair amount in the past, it makes a crap ton of noise inside so I figured the S2000 would be the same and that the noise was normal, but now I'm not so sure. The S2000 is quieter than the Miata when inside, but this noise trumps all other noises in the car while moving.

2nd noise:
When I have the car on and am just sitting idling there is a not-so-loud noise from the same transmission area. It's not a whining noise, but sounds like somethign spinning. When I depress the clutch pedal it goes away, when I release the clutch it comes back. I'm thinking the Throw-out bearing is worn out, does that sound right? I wouldn't think it's clutch buzz because this is a 2002. Maybe the throw-out bearing is the cause for the 1st noise as well?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by austincrx
So I bought my 2002 S about 2 months ago, and since then I've noticed a whining noise that sounds like it's coming from the transmission. There is also another noise that has to do with the clutch being depressed while stopped. I don't know what could be making these noises, I am thinking it's the throw-out bearing, but I'm not sure, can some of you help me out on this please?

1st noise:
When moving (clutch depressed, engaged, it doesn't matter, the noise is always there) there is a whining noise from what seems like the transmission area. It is to do with the speed I am traveling because it gets a little louder when I go faster. When going above about 80 you can't really tell that it's getting louder, but that is probably because of the wind noise increasing as well. I replaced the transmission fluid a month and a half ago, and it only has 1400 miles on that fluid. I used Honda MTF fluid. I also replaced the diff. fluid at the same time, and used the recommended weight diff fluid, but I can't remember exactly what type of fluid I used. The car was making the noise before I changed the fluids, but having driven an old miata a fair amount in the past, it makes a crap ton of noise inside so I figured the S2000 would be the same and that the noise was normal, but now I'm not so sure. The S2000 is quieter than the Miata when inside, but this noise trumps all other noises in the car while moving.

2nd noise:
When I have the car on and am just sitting idling there is a not-so-loud noise from the same transmission area. It's not a whining noise, but sounds like somethign spinning. When I depress the clutch pedal it goes away, when I release the clutch it comes back. I'm thinking the Throw-out bearing is worn out, does that sound right? I wouldn't think it's clutch buzz because this is a 2002. Maybe the throw-out bearing is the cause for the 1st noise as well?
The first noise could be the TO, but TO's ive heard go bad knock..but maybe its the TO in your case. Use Mobil 1 LSD in the rear..noise could be coming from there..

The second faint noise while the car is sitting in neutral is normal. I can here the tranny spinning in my car and Billman told me it was normal..
Old 02-01-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trans fits the description of your second noise. I believe it is normal. You'll know the clutch buzz when decelerating. It's obvious and quite "buzzy". The noise you hear when stopped is more of a whirring noise.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:27 PM

Hey my car does make those noises too!! Haha
Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Start saving up for a transmission very soon. If you dont have AAA yet, get it now.

The rotational scuffing sound at idle and when your moving in my experience has been the trans input bearing ready to go. If you push in the clutch at idle and it goes away, be prepared to be stranded somewhere at some point sooner then later, it’s a ticking time bomb.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Start saving up for a transmission very soon. If you dont have AAA yet, get it now.

The rotational scuffing sound at idle and when your moving in my experience has been the trans input bearing ready to go. If you push in the clutch at idle and it goes away, be prepared to be stranded somewhere at some point sooner then later, it’s a ticking time bomb.
bearings make a crazy insane amount of noise before they go out, I don't think there has been a single case of the input shaft bearing failing completely. Make noise yes. I would save up for a rebuild when the time comes.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by apme123
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1359759734' post='22308931

bearings make a crazy insane amount of noise before they go out, I don't think there has been a single case of the input shaft bearing failing completely. Make noise yes. I would save up for a rebuild when the time comes.
Maybe you misunderstand what part im referring to, i'm not talking about the throw out bearing, I'm talking about the main bearing that supports the input shaft of the transmission. Yes they do go out, Ive had one go out in my Z trans and my ap1 trans. All I can suggest is anticipate failure sooner rather then later if its currently audible enough to hear wile driving and plan for it, drive the car very easy, no more vtec. The trans will let go on you, usually under load, then when you let off the shaft moves inside the trans, few of the sinkros/gear don't line up anymore, sometimes you can get in a gear and it makes a racket from beating itself to death etc....you could actually salvage it if you catch it in the early stages which it sounds like it is right now, but the cost of removal and repair is usually equivalent or more then just picking up another used trans, unless you do all the work yourself. If you wait till you cant get it into gear anymore and its basically grenade itself, just throw it away at that point, not worth fixing. Again plan accordingly.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:22 PM

You must be referring to some other noise. My car has made this whirring noise since I bought it 5 years and 70k miles ago. It's completely normal. A bad bearing makes a pretty distinct sound and (at least in my case) the trans sounds nothing like a bad bearing.