S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where to purchase an ACT Pressure Plate

Old 08-07-2004, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to purchase an ACT Pressure Plate

Sup guys, im replacing my clutch soon at 60k miles and after reading some posts about clutch setups i have chosen to keep everything stock except for the pressure plate which im replacing with the ACT pressure plate. Anyway i looked around but didnt really find good places to buy the pressure plate and who are willing to sell it individually. Basically i wanted to ask members where did they buy theirs and how was the service? Im also clueless on what i should replace. When replacing the clutch do i have to change everything like flywheel, bearings, pressure plate or can u just change the clutch??? Thanks for all the help.

-Tony
Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HP Freaks or Bulletproof Automotive for the PP and disc. You don't need to change the flywheel, and you may still want to run the OEM disc (as many here do with the ACT).
Old 08-08-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick's sells it (for Comptech) and you get a 10% price break over buying it from Comptech directly.

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/comptech1.php

This is Comptech's page:
http://www.comptechusa.com/store/page117.html

There may be other sources for finding it cheaper, but I found it hard to find the pressure plate alone, as well ... and Rick's had a good price.

Big P is right, the OEM disc does just fine ... there are a lot of us on the forum with the ACT PP/OEM disc combo. I have the Comptech FW as well (BTW - very happy with the setup). ACT is supposedly coming out with a FW for the S2000 - may be worth looking into.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:27 AM

If you're going to have any clutch work done on your car, it's a good idea to not only replace the disc, pressure plate (and bolts), and T/O bearing, but also consider resurfacing the FW (if there are signs of runout or burn marks) or you can replace it with an aftermarket (lightened) FW.
A great deal of the cost involved in a clutch job for this car is the labor involved in pulling the transmission. Therefore, it's a good idea to not skimp while the tranny is out. Addiitonally, if the FW is removed or replaced - make sure to replace the FW bolts and pilot bearing (the pilot bearing is pressed into the center of the FW). At any rate, it's never a bad idea to pull the FW and inspect the rear main seal (and replace if need be).
For note: the Comptech FW comes with a new pilot bearing already installed. Additionally, bleed the clutch system (this should be done ~every 1 to 2 years, depending on how hot, humid, and/or dusty it is where you live. Check your clutch flex hose (looks like a brake line that attaches to the side of the transmission - at the slave cylinder) for cracks and replace as needed.
That about covers it, I think.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info. My plan was to replace the PP and clutch but now im prolly gonna consider replacing the t/o bearings and resurfacing the FW if necessary. The only problem i have is what it would do to the size of my wallet. Every litte thing is adding up and i wont be able to get some of the things i want so i might just kiss that ACT PP goodbye and stick with the stock PP. I dont think its bad but just not as better as the ACT. I think it fits me well since i use it as a daily driver and nothing more other than some trips on the TOUGE!!! Hopefully ill avoid all of this when i call consumer relations and complain to them about my TSB54 and get them to fix the damn thing or at least a 50/50 parts/labor deal (Slim Chance).
Old 08-08-2004, 01:45 AM

www.hardtopguy.com

Enough said - Jeff is the man
Old 08-08-2004, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by slipstream444,Aug 8 2004, 04:27 AM
(looks like a brake line that attaches to the side of the transmission - at the slave cylinder) for cracks and replace as needed.
Just thinking, does this line come stainless steel braided like the brake lines? Would it give an advantage like it does to the brakes?
Old 08-08-2004, 10:34 AM

You can buy an aftermarket braided line or make one but the OEM hose is thick enough that won't feel a huge difference if any at all. Besides, the clutch pressure is no where near as high as the brake pressure, and it doesn't see anywhere close to the temperatures the brake lines do.

If it was important it would be on the race prepped S2000s.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:40 AM

True, Spoon used to make one - but no one bought it because it wasn't worth the cost.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:37 AM

And you can make yourself for $15-20. I bet the Spoon was $100.

Quick Reply: Where to purchase an ACT Pressure Plate