S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where is my coolant going? Please help.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your head gasket can definitely be your problem.. if it's blown, coolant can leak into your oil or cylinder which in terms causes rapid engine wear or engine failure due to the diluted oil not properly lubricating the moving parts.

check for any leaks first, then check your compression, if it's low on any of the cylinders it might just be your head gasket..
Old 10-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2quik4u,Oct 29 2009, 05:37 PM
Will it hurt to keep driving? Just refill coolant every few weeks??
NO NO NO!! Don't ignore the fact that your coolant is disappearing. like i've stated check for leaks...

if you're mechanically inclined, pull the head off and check your head gasket, it's relatively easy to see if it's torn or not...

i would hold off on the car for now... if it is your hg, like i've stated your engine might be in trouble....
Old 10-29-2009, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Freddy,Oct 29 2009, 05:42 PM
i would hold off on the car for now... if it is your hg, like i've stated your engine might be in trouble....
I have to drive it, it's all I got. I don't have the money to replace the gasket right now. I probably won't for at least a month. I need to find somewhere else to take it anyway for the headgasket, Honda wanted like $800+ if I'm not mistaken last year.

Arrgh.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:02 PM

that's insane, don't take it to the stealership. find a local trustworthy shop around your area, if you lack the skills.

a head gasket replacement shouldn't get near $800.

but first find what the problem is...
Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM

a head gasket should run about 400, or 50 bucks if you can do it. it's not as hard as you may think just time consumeing, get a pdf file of the honda repair manuel on ebay it walks you right through it, don't need any experience to understand it. and take about 3 days off of work, it can be done in a day if you know what you doing, but assumeing you don't 3 should be more then enough or find a friend that can help. or search your local boards for members that can help free or low cost. there is a lot of ppl on here that would do this and know how. that is what the car community is about helping each other learn.

like said above you need to find out where the coolant is going, if it is coming out to the outside of the engine fine just keep refilling it. if it is going into the oil by jan you will need a new engine prob. if your going to put it off this long, at least try to change you oil more often then you would it will pull the coolant out of oil and keep it working like it should. if you take your car into get oil changes ask them if they can test it for coolant, some places and do that or do a google search to have that done.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drhess06259,Oct 29 2009, 07:51 PM
a head gasket should run about 400, or 50 bucks if you can do it. it's not as hard as you may think just time consumeing, get a pdf file of the honda repair manuel on ebay it walks you right through it, don't need any experience to understand it. and take about 3 days off of work, it can be done in a day if you know what you doing, but assumeing you don't 3 should be more then enough or find a friend that can help. or search your local boards for members that can help free or low cost. there is a lot of ppl on here that would do this and know how. that is what the car community is about helping each other learn.

like said above you need to find out where the coolant is going, if it is coming out to the outside of the engine fine just keep refilling it. if it is going into the oil by jan you will need a new engine prob. if your going to put it off this long, at least try to change you oil more often then you would it will pull the coolant out of oil and keep it working like it should. if you take your car into get oil changes ask them if they can test it for coolant, some places and do that or do a google search to have that done.
Those are some really good ideas there.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by drhess06259,Oct 29 2009, 07:51 PM

Thank you very much - I'll see what I can do and keep you all updated.

Ry
Old 10-31-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 2quik4u,Oct 29 2009, 03:53 PM
Did you have to replace the radiator? Any how much did it set you back if you did?
Yeah, I went ahead and replaced it with a Koyo OEM(plastic) that cost me about $167 shipped ($151 shipped if you don't live in California). If I where to do it again. I would of went with the site sponsor that is selling the MISHIMOTO Radiators (100% ALUMINUM Radiator) for $240 shipped to you. I didn't look there first before I placed an order for the Koyo.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 PM

I don't think it's your head gasket. If it where you would probably get white smoke out the exhaust.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm gonna do a fresh oil change in the morning and see if I can tell if there is any coolant in my oil. I'm gonna look for any leaks in the coolant lines too.

But...

I plan on getting a sample of my oil in a glass... what I'm thinking is, if there is any water or 50/50 coolant in my oil, wouldn't it seperate in the glass over a short amount of time? So you could see the evidence?

Quick Reply: Where is my coolant going? Please help.