S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where To Get Valves Adjusted?

Old 09-13-2020, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where To Get Valves Adjusted?

MY03

Hey Guys, I’ve had my car nearly the last 20k miles of its life. It’s now at 105k, although it’s given me no real issue I feel just as a preventative measure I should start doing some more serious maintenance outside the usual. My question is if you guys have any recommendations of reputable guys to do the job? I’m in Virginia, not aware of any shops that have a experience with the s2000 so I was hoping you guys could guide me. I don’t really trust somebody at my local Honda dealer with something like this but maybe I’ll call them up and talk about it. Also, my mechanical knowledge is alright I do everything myself typically but I have no garage so I don’t want to be opening up my valve cover outside. Thanks again !
Old 09-13-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Other Honda engines have a similar setup with the valves. The S engine is pretty easy to work on being 4 cylinders and inline. I did my S twice and attempted to do my MDX but the V6 was transverse mounted and was a royal pain to get to the back bank. The dealer had a deal going on that so I let them do it for $180. Maybe they can do the S. It is not that hard.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,249 Likes on 1,090 Posts

This is half a morning DIY job at most with $30 worth of tools and a gasket set. Since the engine turns over more easily without the spark plugs it's a good time for new plugs while you're in there. I've done three -- or at least helped. Nothing scary at all. Tedious and back breaking with the car on the ground. Simpler and cleaner than changing the oil, just takes longer. Excellent photo essay and videos in the library. I'm doing mine again in a few weeks when my wife is gone and I'll have the garage all to myself for several days. Keep in mine the engine needs to be cold (under 100°F).

Any good Honda motorcycle mechanic can to it too, the S2000 looks like a bike engine under the valve cover.

-- Chuck
Old 09-13-2020, 06:24 PM

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm doing mine again in a few weeks when my wife is gone and I'll have the garage all to myself for several days.
-- Chuck
A little something on the rocks may help with the fun too! Maybe a cigar and some friends!
The following users liked this post:
F1-Fiddy (09-29-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:33 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Or, you could try posting in your regional threads to see if someone knows of a good mechanic in your area to do the job.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:02 AM
Member (Premium)

Virginia is approximately 40,000 square miles so more specific location is always helpful. I'm guessing you're up by DC.

-- Chuck
Old 09-14-2020, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
Or, you could try posting in your regional threads to see if someone knows of a good mechanic in your area to do the job.
I looked through all those threads , anybody who posted looking for anything in Va the post is usually dead with no responses.. thought I’d go broader
Old 09-14-2020, 05:06 AM

Virginia is approximately 40,000 square miles so more specific location is always helpful. I'm guessing you're up by DC.

-- Chuck
I’m actually much further south , but I’m willing travel. You familiar with Inline Pro ? I know they do s2000 work not sure if they’d do something small like valve adjustments
Old 09-14-2020, 05:11 AM
Member (Premium)

Recent posts of bungled engine rebuilds by Inline Pro give me no confidence in their work. I'm in Richmond, as you can see if you look below my photo on the left, and have all the tools. But I'm just a DIY owner and the car needs to be cold.

-- Chuck
Old 09-14-2020, 05:14 AM

Recent posts of bungled engine rebuilds by Inline Pro give me no confidence in their work. I'm in Richmond, as you can see if you look below my photo on the left, and have all the tools. But I'm just a DIY owner and the car needs to be cold.

-- Chuck
Nice to meet someone from my area, I’m about 2 hours away. Also I didn’t know that about inline, I think I may just tackle this myself. The job itself doesn’t look hard, just a little iffy on having my valve cover off while for a good amount of time while exposed outside.

Quick Reply: Where To Get Valves Adjusted?