S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where can i find write-up on changing out coil packs?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
my mechanic is not taking that much in labor and parts are well priced for what hes asking.. but im not happy that I had to tow it... could've saved $90..funny thing is I had 3 coils on order then cancelled.. I was about to pick them up 2 hours before cancelling but I took Bill's advice and advice from others as well to not waste my money on the coils.. dammit
It happens. At least you didn't get robbed for $2k or more on a more daunting task like a clutch replacement; which I've heard has happened to a couple folks!

I'm no mechanic so take my opinion for what it is, but this car is very easy to work on. It is also a very rewarding feeling knowing that you fixed something yourself and knowing that it was done correctly.

Believe it or not, even doing a job (like an oil change, easy) for the FIRST time you will KNOW that you torqued your oil drain bolt to the proper spec, used a new crush washer, your car has the correct oil in it, that the filter was replaced with a genuine honda oem filter (or whatever you want) on schedule.

A LOT of shops will overtorque your oil drain bolt, MOST will NOT use a new crush washer if they even put the old one back on, may put in the wrong oil (a lot of shops wont give two craps that they put in conventional oil when you paid for full synthetic), and will probably throw on a cheap FRAM oil filter (to which they will torque the filter to ~100 lbs or something insane). All for ~$60-80 or something dumb like that.

I understand that I'm not like everyone; I'm an engineer. But there are VERY good DIY threads on these boards with great pictures so that you know where you are at every step of whatever you're doing. They can build a lot of confidence quickly in something that you may have never even known about.

It's a nice feeling when you walk back into your house, apartment, whatever telling yourself "well... just saved myself $800... I think I'll have myself beer or 9!"
Old 12-13-2013, 04:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

lol good idea on the skype thing. we should start that. skype or google chat help for s2ki members. FWIW if anyone needs help and real time advice they can also pm me. im no Billman but i can be helpful for those who are not mechanically inclined. i figure this is me paying it forward since i have been helped by multiple people in learning about cars.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

my mechanic is not taking that much in labor and parts are well priced for what hes asking.. but im not happy that I had to tow it... could've saved $90..funny thing is I had 3 coils on order then cancelled.. I was about to pick them up 2 hours before cancelling but I took Bill's advice and advice from others as well to not waste my money on the coils.. dammit
A years worth of AAA is about the same as your one tow....plan for the future.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you tell if it's the coil pack by swapping it to a different cylinder and seeing if the misfire moves with it
Old 12-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

yes^
Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I took Bill's advice and advice from others as well to not waste my money on the coils.. dammit
I didn't say that. I said be sure first
Old 12-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Gatsbee13

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13' timestamp='1386804599' post='22918411
A years worth of AAA is about the same as your one tow....plan for the future.
I had AAA in the past but never ended up using it once so I never renewed.. now that my car is a bit older, ill probably have too.

Originally Posted by Billman250
Originally Posted by Gatsbee13' timestamp='1386804599' post='22918411
I took Bill's advice and advice from others as well to not waste my money on the coils.. dammit
I didn't say that. I said be sure first

i was definitely in the minority with the coilpack problem..
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Gatsbee13

Originally Posted by TommySalami
Can't you tell if it's the coil pack by swapping it to a different cylinder and seeing if the misfire moves with it

i heard that you can unplug the coil pack while engine is on to determine which one it is.. i thought about trying this but wasn't sure if it would cause more problems.. as far as moving coilpack, i had a random misfire, so it wasn't telling me which cylinder.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommySalami' timestamp='1387089430' post='22923308

i heard that you can unplug the coil pack while engine is on to determine which one it is.. i thought about trying this but wasn't sure if it would cause more problems.. as far as moving coilpack, i had a random misfire, so it wasn't telling me which cylinder.
You can. I've done this on my friend's BMW. Unplugging the bad one won't change anything and unplugging the others will make the car run more roughly or stall.