S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where can i find write-up on changing out coil packs?

Old 12-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Gatsbee13

Default Where can i find write-up on changing out coil packs?

Just got a p1399 code and I suspect its another coil pack as I recently had one of the coil packs go bad. anyways, I have 04-05 coils on order for my 03 and was wondering where I could find the write-up on installing them.. looked everywhere..
Old 12-10-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Its very very simple. Take the spark plug cover off, its held on by the 4 bolts with the allen key heads. Then theres a single 10mm bolt holding the coil in, undo the bolt and unplug the coil.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danwolski
Its very very simple. Take the spark plug cover off, its held on by the 4 bolts with the allen key heads. Then theres a single 10mm bolt holding the coil in, undo the bolt and unplug the coil.
I'm like the OP when it comes to DIY - wanting exact instructions, but Danwolski is correct... swapping a coil pack is stupid simple. I think I could swap one in about 30 seconds done and done.

Edit: if you must, reference the Spark Plug DIY and it will have very detailed pics for you.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Gatsbee13

Originally Posted by Danwolski

cool.. thx, I knew it was easy but just didn't know how to go about doing it.. just removed them.. is there any way to tell if you have a bad coil pack just by looking at them? will there like a burnt out look?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

There will be no visual indications of a bad pack.

MOST random misfire codes are not the result of coil packs. I'd be sure first.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Gatsbee13

not good news.. I have about 197k miles on my 2003 and 2nd cylinder coil went bad about 3-4k miles ago.. that's the reason I thought of the coil pack.. + it is was the same symptom.. car bogging at neutral and when driving.. but the first coil pack that went bad not to long ago happened when I started the car after not driving for about 30 minutes.. this time the car started bogging while I was driving and then the cel started blinking.. oh and forgot to mention that my mechanic changed out the spark plugs with new OEM ones and put in some fuel injector cleaner when he changed out the first bad coil..

any input on that Bill?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatsbee13
not good news.. I have about 197k miles on my 2003 and 2nd cylinder coil went bad about 3-4k miles ago.. that's the reason I thought of the coil pack.. + it is was the same symptom.. car bogging at neutral and when driving.. but the first coil pack that went bad not to long ago happened when I started the car after not driving for about 30 minutes.. this time the car started bogging while I was driving and then the cel started blinking.. oh and forgot to mention that my mechanic changed out the spark plugs with new OEM ones and put in some fuel injector cleaner when he changed out the first bad coil..

any input on that Bill?
My buddy was having the same issue. After the compression test and valve adjustment came out fine, we swapped in a good set of used fuel injectors and the problem went away. Non of the fuel injectors cleaners seemed to help.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Gatsbee13

Originally Posted by Billman250
There will be no visual indications of a bad pack.

MOST random misfire codes are not the result of coil packs. I'd be sure first.
Had my car towed to my mechanic.. turns out it was a coilpack.. guess im in the minority with a random misfire being a coilpack.. just going to get all 3 new ones now to replace the old ones..

offerred to pay someone to do a coilpack swap in my local area before towing but no takers..
Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah man! You totally could have done it yourself! Or you could have called/Skype'd me and I would have walked you through it! Anything to keep from paying an outrageous shop labor fee for something that simple.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Gatsbee13

my mechanic is not taking that much in labor and parts are well priced for what hes asking.. but im not happy that I had to tow it... could've saved $90..funny thing is I had 3 coils on order then cancelled.. I was about to pick them up 2 hours before cancelling but I took Bill's advice and advice from others as well to not waste my money on the coils.. dammit

Quick Reply: Where can i find write-up on changing out coil packs?