S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Where to buy a Metric Only Tool Set

Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to buy a Metric Only Tool Set

So I've been working from a basic Craftsman set that's been OK for quite a while, supplementing it with necessary tools here and there.

So I was in Sears and saw some kits for sale. Even going up to the kits with hundreds of pieces... there is just so much waste with all of these tools that are redundant and useless!!

First, why would you give me redundant tools, 6pt and 12pt, instead of either giving me a wider range of sizes or more deep sockets? The only damn thing that I've ever needed 12pt sockets for was to remove a flywheel. Otherwise, .

So I want something that's going to give me a logical, useful set, with a wide range of sizes in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2". Screw the standard tools, screw the redundancy!

It seems I can go to Snap On and pay $400 for a couple of ratchets and a small assortment of sockets. I'm sure there are lovers of this brand out there, but I'm not willing to flush money down the toilet.

So what's the best option? Am I going to just have to piece the set together myself? I really like being able to have that hand case to carry around if necessary and have what I need with me. Maybe I just will need to invest in a good bag. Any thoughts?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:04 AM

Go to a good swap meet and you'll find used Craftsman tools. Buy what you need individually. Not only is Craftsman quality acceptible for almost all their hand tools but they carry a lifetime warranty.

When you need 12 pt for a limited work angle you'll be crying that you don't have 'em. I had to expand my kit for those.

Consider trying the Gearwrench series. They rock.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 AM

I wish they would just sell metric only sets. Hell, I don't need it to be half price, but a bit of a discount and the bonus of not having all of those worthless sockets around would be quite nice.

A tool manufacturer needs to set up an online store to be like Dell that lets you customize your set. That would be nice!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Kobalt has a lot of metric only socket sets 6 & 12pt. They're also lifetime warrantied. I just got their 3/8 drive 6pt socket set a couple weeks ago because I have probably 3 sets of 12pt metric sockets already. The 6pt sets seem to be harder to find so I jumped on that.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with Snap on if you rely on your tools to earn a living. Other than that I stick with Harbor Freight for basic hand tools, and American, European, or Japaneses brands for machine tool tooling (taps, dies, end mills, etc)

Craftsman is not what they use to be. Their line of sockets with their laser etching on them are no better then what you get at Harbor Freight based on my recent experience.

- The chrome plating was chipping off many of the sockets while we where just unpacking them from their box

- Chrome plating had many defects

- The 19mm socket cracked on its first usage

- According to friends, as soon as the laser etching wears away from the socket, Sears can no longer ID the socket as Craftsman, so they won't warranty it. That laser etching isn't very durable.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 AM

i just go to autozone as needed and i pick up individual sockets, wrenches, breaker bars, etc. i'm not going to stock every size there is.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Do you guys get Kincrome and Sidcrome in the States? I wouldn't get Snap on, its a waste of the extra money. I use my Kincrome set for work and home. One of the main benefits snap on tools were good for was that they had lifetime warranty and would get replaced if anything ever broke, which most good manufacturers do now anyway. Many of these are also near par to quality but for much less in price. I recommend Kincrome if you can get it there.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:03 PM

http://www.gpsocket.com/

Not sure if they have a price list on the site, but their stuff is much cheaper than snap on and life time warranty.

http://www.skhandtool.com/

S&K is also another set of tools I rely on at work.

Snap on is hands down the best for commercial industry though. The hassle free warranty I get is worth the price difference.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can find some good deals on decent tools on eBay.

For basic hand tools Harbor Freight is fine.

For torque wrenches, lay out the cash for a Snap-on or MAC. I've been through a ton of "cheap" torque wrenches and they just don't hold up.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:29 PM

If your just a DIY'er you cant beat harbor freight and you can't really justify buying snap on or matco unless your tools are supplying you with a living.

Quick Reply: Where to buy a Metric Only Tool Set