S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

When should i do my first oil change?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should i do my first oil change?

Hey guys when should i get my new oil change?.. car has 950 miles... havnt hit 1000 yet.. also when and wat kind of oil should i get?.. synthetic im pretty sure right?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 PM

no...just get it at 3k miles...and don't get synthetic get the regular stuff for a couple of cycles...

peace
Old 11-16-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's generally accepted on this site (per Honda's recommendation) to wait to change to synthetic until at least 10k miles.

It's also generally accepted to wait to change the factory fill oil according to the owner's manual (mine read 3750 to 7500 miles or 6 months to 1 year, which ever comes first, depending on conditions - 2005).

Check the Oil Journals for more info on fluids.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:16 PM

just completed my first oil change w/ 6,050 on the odometer...after a lot of research, the general consensus seems to be to wait until the maintenance minder that the MY06/07 comes with gets down to a reasonable number...the break-in motor oil that honda uses supposedly contains a high ppm count of moly, which helps coat the inside of the engine (i know you like my technical car talk...).

About synthetic oil changes, it seems as though you should wait until 10k miles before switching...i did my switch w/ castrol gtx 10w30, as that seemed to have one of the highest moly count among the dino oils...

i plan on switching to mobil1 synthetic at 10k miles...happy revving and drive safe...
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 PM

i did my 1st oil change at 3k miles with mobil 1 synthetic. surprisingly, despit that the oil change reminder had 50% on it when i did the oil change, the oil came out was pretty dirty. the honda mechanic who worked on my car told me that there is no problem if u put synthetic oil at 1st oil change, yet the honda recommends after 10k. the mechanic also mentioned that it is common mis-understanding that people are scared to put synthetic oil b/c the factory recommends. for me, the honda service advisor asked me to do "tire rotation" when i brought in for the 1st oil change, and that concludes how much honda knows about cars

at the end, i chose to trust the mechanics since they work on honda cars everyday, and they know what is good and what is not good. so far, i have not had any issues with the engine from putting syn oil at 1st oil change. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:01 AM

Break-in oil is a myth. Synthetic motor oil is fine on first oil change, Acura even uses it strait from the factory.

http://mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Fil..._1_Brochure.pdf
Old 11-17-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by chw6922,Nov 17 2006, 02:14 AM
i did my 1st oil change at 3k miles with mobil 1 synthetic. surprisingly, despit that the oil change reminder had 50% on it when i did the oil change, the oil came out was pretty dirty.
Generally oil looks dirty after the first couple of drives. Just because oil looks dirty doesn't mean that it is not still good. That's why people do oil analysis.

Having said that... I tend to change the oil on my Civic between 3-4k miles.

[QUOTE]the honda mechanic who worked on my car told me that there is no problem if u put synthetic oil at 1st oil change, yet the honda recommends after 10k. the mechanic also mentioned that it is common mis-understanding that people are scared to put synthetic oil b/c the factory recommends. for me, the honda service advisor asked me to do "tire rotation" when i brought in for the 1st oil change, and that concludes how much honda knows about cars
Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by kungfushifta,Nov 17 2006, 11:01 AM
Break-in oil is a myth. Synthetic motor oil is fine on first oil change, Acura even uses it strait from the factory.

http://mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Fil..._1_Brochure.pdf
I can't comment on whether break-in oil is a myth. However, people have posted up information that shows that the factory fill in the S2000 contains significatnly more moly than most off-the-shelf brand-name oils.

This could be that Honda uses a break-in oil, or that the moly comes from lube used in the assembly of the motor.

This could be intentional to aid in the break-in process or just what happens when they use whatever lubes in the building process.

The reason that I'm posting isn't to argue that there is or is not such thing as a break-in oil, but rather to make sure you are not busting a myth with only the logic that there can't be a break-in oil if the RDX comes with Mobil-1 from the factory.

First, I could argue that while some companies, such as Porsche, factory fill their cars with a synthetic (Porsche uses Mobil 1 as well), others may chose to use an oil formulated for what they consider proper break-in.

Second, I could argue that even though Honda chose to factory fill the RDX with Mobil 1, that the S2000 engine is very different and engineers may have felt that it had different needs for break-in.

The point is, please don't assume that the S2000 doesn't have break-in oil just because the RDX does not.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:50 AM

what is the reason behind this synth=10k miles? why can't you put synth at 5k or even 3k? can anybody explain?
Old 11-17-2006, 11:15 AM

6-7k miles

Quick Reply: When should i do my first oil change?