S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

when do i change brake pads?

Old 09-07-2003, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when do i change brake pads?

my car has about 27000 KM, and i feel the brake is loosing power but no noise. is it time to change brake pads?

also, which brake pads would u guys recommand?
i am thinking of changing the rotors too (slotted/cross drilled), which brand is good?

thanks~
Old 09-07-2003, 03:27 PM

The OEM pads have squealers on 'em; you'll know when they get that low.

Not sure why it would feel like you're loosing braking power. Have you ever taken it to the track? Overheated the brakes somehow? Does the pedal feel spongy?

You might have glazed the pads (unlikely with any type of street driving), or your fluid could have absorbed water and boiled. Has the fluid ever been chaged?

For street driving, trust me, the OEM pads are the best: cheap, last a long time, don't dust, don't squeal, and have good feel. You will loose some or all of those features if you go to a different pad.

Slotted and/or cross drilled rotors are purely a cosmetic deal. If you use your brakes hard, they will hurt braking performance, wear pads faster, and/or crack.

Ted
Old 09-07-2003, 04:03 PM

yes, it does give a spongy feeling.
i have not been to any track event.

anyway, how long do the oem pads last?
thanks for the advices.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by jackson1628
yes, it does give a spongy feeling.
i have not been to any track event.

anyway, how long do the oem pads last?
thanks for the advices.
I would try flushing/bleeding the brake fluid first. There could be air in the system.

Can't say for sure how long pads last. it really depends on your right foot. After 23,000 miles I have plenty of pad left
Old 09-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Yes, replace the brake fluid if the pedal feels spongy.

The pads will last until you hear the horrible squealing, and then a few months after that.

If you're having regular service at a Honda dealer, they should also be checking the thickness of the remaining pad material. They will probably tell you to replace them long before you get down to the squealers.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:52 PM

thank you~
Old 09-07-2003, 05:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
[B]Yes, replace the brake fluid if the pedal feels spongy.
Old 09-07-2003, 07:26 PM

No problem!

Kekoa,

not sure why running the pads low would result in warping the rotors. They should start squealing with enough material left to still be within the service limits.

On the track, more heat gets transferred through thinner pads, making boiling the fluid or overheating the pad material more likely. I wore one set of pads down to the backing plates on the track once (no squealers on race pads). Scored the rotors a bit, but no real damage.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems somewhat early for degradation of brake performance, but Tedster covered the most likely reason.

It's generally a good idea to flush and bleed braking systems every 2 years. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it absorbs water, over time. So, even if you aren't using the brakes, the brake fluid is becomming contaminated with water. This is especiially an issue in humid environments, like where I live in South Florida. Since I flush and bleed my brakes about 4x per year (for increased safety on the track), my fluid is always fresh.

IMO, there is no reason to try to get the last mile out of something as important as brake pads. My preference is to replace pads before they reach the wear indicaters. This requires an actual inspection of the whole pad though. I've seen some pads wear at funny angles and even if there was sufficient material near the wear indicater, the other edge was nearly down to the backing plate.
Old 09-10-2003, 09:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jackson1628
[B]my car has about 27000 KM, and i feel the brake is loosing power but no noise.

Quick Reply: when do i change brake pads?