S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheels stud have broken 3 times in the last 4wks

Old 09-14-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wheels stud have broken 3 times in the last 4wks

hi everyone, it all started 4 weeks ago when 3 wheel studs broke on my front passenger side wheel...all i was doing is a u turn at normal speed and all of a sudden i hear a loud sound...my car starts wobbling so i park...to find that 3 of my wheel studs broke....i had to pay 50 bux for towing a 120 bux for some guy to fix it...the guy told me it they most likely broke cus of overtorque so he made sure not to overtorque....he did so i drive my car 2 weeks later it happens again except this time on the front drivers side tire....3 studs snapped leaving me stranded once again...this time it cost me 120 bux for towing...but this time me and my dad fixed it....and now 2 days ago 2 studs broke on the wheel that the guy i paid fixed...luckily i was able to drive it home....we're in the process of fixing it...i just wnated to know if anyone knows what could be the cause of this happening so much.....studs are meant to be broken that often and i dont think i can afford to keep fixing it....anything you have will be useful thanks...
Ali
Old 09-14-2006, 01:21 PM
TJF

Answer seems obvious to me:

All the wheels were DRASTICALLY overtorqued. When you turned one way, the stress on the outside of the car was too much and broke the overtorqued studs.

You fixed 3 of the 5 studs on that side and torqued them correctly, but the remaining studs on that wheel and the studs on the other side were/are still overtorqued.

You drove some more, and the other side broke. You probably fixed the broken ones, but the studs still on the car are still weakened.

You drove some more and the remaining two studs that had been overtorqued on the original side broke.

Doesnt sound to complicated to me. It just sounds like someone FUBARed all your studs and they all need to be replaced.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TJF,Sep 14 2006, 01:21 PM
Answer seems obvious to me:

All the wheels were DRASTICALLY overtorqued. When you turned one way, the stress on the outside of the car was too much and broke the overtorqued studs.

You fixed 3 of the 5 studs on that side and torqued them correctly, but the remaining studs on that wheel and the studs on the other side were/are still overtorqued.

You drove some more, and the other side broke. You probably fixed the broken ones, but the studs still on the car are still weakened.

You drove some more and the remaining two studs that had been overtorqued on the original side broke.

Doesnt sound to complicated to me. It just sounds like someone FUBARed all your studs and they all need to be replaced.
thats what it sounds like to me as well. is the car lowered? maybe an off camber could be putting alot of stress on the studs
Old 09-14-2006, 02:13 PM

i forgot to mention that all five studs were replaced the first time and torqued to hondas recommendations....same goes for the second time all 5 were changed..but none of these have broken yet....what surprises me is that the 2 of the new ones broke this time they were defiitely not overtorqued because i made sure of that...and no the car is not lowered..this is why i think theres another reason behind this....thanx for the help still open to other reasons
Old 09-14-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have stock, or aftermarket wheels?

Old 09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did you torque the nuts to?
Old 09-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No amount of normal and even abnormal driving will cause the studs to snap. You can even slam a curb hard enough to destroy the wheel and the studs will stay in one piece.

It's very common to have studs snap from the lug nuts coming loose too. Don't get me wrong, over torquing will do it too but, if they come loose, the movement of the wheels will snap them right off.

1) Do you use wheel spacers?

2) What exactly are you torqing them too?

Old 09-14-2006, 03:03 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by dead-bird,Sep 14 2006, 05:17 PM
Do you have stock, or aftermarket wheels?
Exactly. What kind of wheels, what kind of lugs, what are you torquing them too?

If you have aftermarket wheels, are you using hubcentric rings
Old 09-14-2006, 03:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Sep 14 2006, 03:03 PM
Exactly. What kind of wheels, what kind of lugs, what are you torquing them too?

If you have aftermarket wheels, are you using hubcentric rings
good question, if you have aftermarket wheels...if there are no hubcentric rings, that can be your problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't rotate your tires, did you?

Quick Reply: Wheels stud have broken 3 times in the last 4wks