S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel weights - true?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel weights - true?

Hi,

I noticed my wheels have some weights in the rear lip (as opposed to the front lip) in addition to the adhesive-type weights in the rim itself. Is it ok to have the weights on the rear lip? The Honda service manual states the following: "The wheels on this model are not designed to mount the balance weight on the outer side of the wheel. Instead, mount the self-adhesive balance weight on the inner side of the wheels."
Old 09-03-2011, 09:14 PM

What wheels do you have? If stock, what year? & where did you last have your wheels balanced at?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I've seen my Honda dealer mount clip-on weights on the lip that is on the inside surface (closest to the center of the vehicle), but never on the outside visible edge. It was in conjunction with adhesive weights being used on the interior surface of the rim, I think sometimes it can't be avoided if that is the only way to balance the wheel. I was fine with it being on that side of the wheel as long as it isn't on the outer visible edge. The two edges of the rim are different, the one edge will accept clip on weights, the other might not.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by S2K.Danny
What wheels do you have? If stock, what year? & where did you last have your wheels balanced at?
Stock AP2 wheels.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I've seen my Honda dealer mount clip-on weights on the lip that is on the inside surface (closest to the center of the vehicle), but never on the outside visible edge. It was in conjunction with adhesive weights being used on the interior surface of the rim, I think sometimes it can't be avoided if that is the only way to balance the wheel. I was fine with it being on that side of the wheel as long as it isn't on the outer visible edge. The two edges of the rim are different, the one edge will accept clip on weights, the other might not.
This is exactly what I was describing. Is this ok?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by ROTFLMAO
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1315119419' post='20942335
This is exactly what I was describing. Is this ok?
well in terms of safety or rim damage I think it is okay, I never had any issues with that and my rims were always well balanced. But I also read the same thing as you in the Honda service manual, I'm not totally sure why they listed that recommendation. Perhaps with some tire and wheel combos the installer may find that is the only way to get things to balance out if they need a large weight on that side of the rim. My guess is Honda wanted to avoid clip-on weights on the outside visible surface of the rim mostly as the lip on that side of the rim is different than that of the other side. Adhesive weights are the way to go whenever possible. It would be something to ask of a Honda technician next time I get my tires installed, I'd be curious to know what they have to say about that, but I know they did that on my rims in the past. I haven't had any issues with that thusfar.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't know they still used the clip-on weights.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 AM

If it is an AP2V1 wheel then there should definitely NOT be standard hammer-on weights on the face of the wheel. Only on the inner lip. Tape-weights should be used along the inner edge towards the face of the wheel to balance.
Could you take a picture of the weights on the wheel for us? Because unless my memory serves me incorrectly, there is no lip for a standard wheel weight on the outer edge of an AP2v1 wheel...
Old 09-04-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by S2K.Danny
If it is an AP2V1 wheel then there should definitely NOT be standard hammer-on weights on the face of the wheel. Only on the inner lip. Tape-weights should be used along the inner edge towards the face of the wheel to balance.
Could you take a picture of the weights on the wheel for us? Because unless my memory serves me incorrectly, there is no lip for a standard wheel weight on the outer edge of an AP2v1 wheel...
I think he is saying they put weights on the inner lip, not the outer face, but the Honda manual says not to use clip / hammer on weights, so that got him a bit concerned. I think they are okay with weights on the inner lip like you gave stated.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:04 AM

S2K.Danny, JFUSION is exactly right with his description. It's on the inside lip not the face.