S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel Studs HELP

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wheel Studs HELP

Hey guys,
So I can't seem to escape problems with MY04. When taking off the rears to take to the shop for new rubber a part of one of my wheel studs broke off in the nut. At first I was like, no problem, easy fix. Then it took me all of 5 minutes of research to turn to questioning why? why did honda make these wheel studs like this?

So I know I am taking it to a shop to get the bearing pressed out, new one pressed in, and 5 new studs just to be safe. I'm just curious to hear any of your experiences. Did you buy the parts and take it to a local shop you trusted? Did you take it to honda? Did you do it yourself because one of your friends had a press? Did you have whatever shop do it, get the parts themselves, cause they can get better deals?

All of these are options for me, I am just trying to chose the least expensive yet most reliable choice.

Thanks for any input!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have often purchased the parts and dropped them off at a local machine shop. That's the cheapest route assuming you're capable of tearing it down and putting it back together with a day or so of downtime. Ask around your local area. If you don't want to be bothered, independent shops and also honda can take care of it for you.

On that note, I had a local friend breaking studs left and right. It was found later his centering ring was crushed behind the hub of the wheel keeping it from sitting flush. It broke numerous studs before it was found.