S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel rusted to rotor - can not remove

Old 05-22-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Wheel rusted to rotor - can not remove

Obviously not an S2K wheel, as the wheel is steel, from one of my (semi) daily drivers. I tried applying PB Blaster where the wheel meets the rotor, then tried hitting the wheel from the inside with both a rubber mallet and a plastic shot-filled mallet, rotating the wheel, hitting it, rotating a bit more, hitting it, etc...... Beat the crap out of the heads of both mallets.

I do not have a bearing puller large enough to fit into the holes of the wheel, which are several inched from the wheel center (further away than the studs are from the center, obviously).

I have thought of applying some heat to the wheel (on the outside), where it meets the rotor (around the circumference of the studs).............. using a small propane torch and gradually warming it up.

I have never run into this before. My final alternative is to take the truck to a wheel/tire shop (e.g. NTB, Goodyear, etc..); cost is not the issue, it's the time (to and from, and waiting).

Any constructive suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 PM

Can you get to the wheel bearing cap? Pull the rotor and the wheel together and deal with it off the car.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Use a sledge hammer and hit the tires really hard?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've never done this but it's something you might try..... read about it someplace a while back.

Put the lug nuts back on about 3/4 of the way or so and then lower the car back to the ground. Rock the car side to side - shove hard and let the weight of the car do the work. Be careful where you push on the car..... you don't want to put dents in your fenders or body. With luck the wheel should break free of the rotor.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:48 PM

For the front wheels:
Loosen the lug nuts a few turns, but make sure there are still a few threads holding. This is still with the car on the ground, not jack up or anything.

Get in the car and turn the steering wheel around. Hopefully that will break the wheel free.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by duff0000,May 22 2007, 08:17 PM
Use a sledge hammer and hit the tires really hard?
has worked for me in the past.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:32 PM

In my experiences, I have just given the tire a good solid kick and it always comes loose.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 PM

KICK THE TIRES REALLY HARD. you won't hurt the tires. I would personally take a air hammer to it at a last resort but i don't know if you have one of those. nice to have an air compressor at home . other option is to use a cheapo mallet on the rim of the wheel. farther away from the hub you hit, more leverage you'll have.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by TeKNiC330,May 22 2007, 08:48 PM
For the front wheels:
Loosen the lug nuts a few turns, but make sure there are still a few threads holding. This is still with the car on the ground, not jack up or anything.

Get in the car and turn the steering wheel around. Hopefully that will break the wheel free.
I loosened the lug nuts several turns and DROVE the car locally. Nothing happened. So, I went out again, lug nuts still loose, and intentionally hit every bump and pot hole I could find (truck is old, and has seen much worse than that) - still did not un-freeze the wheel from the rotor.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sledge hammers might do some damage you dont want. what i do is get a piece of 4X4 (wood) maybe 36" long and use it like a bat or do sort of a spearing motion from the underside of the car. that usually blows the wheel right off.

Quick Reply: Wheel rusted to rotor - can not remove