S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

wheel hop

Old 12-06-2013, 12:09 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

If you've never experienced severe wheel hop, you don't know what the OP is talking about. Bad struts can give you poor handling or annoying bounce on less-than-smooth pavement but won't give you that dramatic bounce that feels like someone threw a switch and got your car to bounce like an unbalanced washing machine in spin cycle.

OP - Check all mounts. Motor, tranny and diff mounts with any extra free play could cause this. I wouldn't have made this suggestion if I hadn't experienced this firsthand (though not with an S2000).
Old 12-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Differential Mounts. I popped one of my at the drag strip, all 4 eventually went out due to age. They are relatively inexpensive from the dealership.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
ok get new struts does that help?

The car in stock condition is not designed to be launched. So the "dont do that anymore" comment is legit.

please 6k dump clutch from a stop.
Trust me dont do that unless you got money to spend. Best advice going.

Just sounded to me like dude is launching the stock s2k. If you are not doing that then worn shocks/struts would cause the hop you speak of.
It is not a solid axle car, but it does have oil jets to cool the pistons. Just sayin.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

I would look at alignment as well
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,656 Posts

The only time I've experienced wheel hop was on front wheel drive cars, rear wheel cars should be much smoother to launch. It sounds like a mechanical issue, worn rear struts could definitely cause this. I don't have traction control on my ap1 so I can't say if that is a cause of your issue or not ?
Old 12-07-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even drag cars grenade clutches and break drive lines.
Any way you want to put it, driving any car in this manner is just wrong. You are not only asking for a break down you deserve it. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it should be done.
A lot of fun can be had in these cars just shifting in high revs. I am into spirited driving myself. I like spinning my tires around turns. I like shifting at 8k.
Not trying to be a ball breaker. Just think about it that's all.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I'm the OP. I DO NOT LAUNCH MY CAR, ever, no matter what your definition of 'launch' is. I am familiar with VSA, what occurs when it engages, and how to disable it. The wheel hop I am refering to only occurs when VSA is disabled (otherwise VSA would kick in and prevent wheel spin, thereby obviating any possible wheel hop.)

The wheel hop occurs when I accelerate vigorously, and power overcomes traction. These are not 'off the line' scenarios (which would indeed be launching), they are low traction conditions encountered after already taking off or when performing sharp cornering in low gear while accelerating. In any condition when tires break traction, and wheel spin occurs, I get wheel hop.

Note its not like wheel spin is a daily occurance with my driving, but it has occurred, more than a few times, and each time wheel hop occurs.

My first question was if this is normal, I think we've established its not. Thanks all. Second was what could be wrong. So far I heard rear struts, and mounts, not just diff but also trans and motor.

I will investigate both, thanks. Other suggestions?
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM

Your obviously doing something wrong when you drive vigorously as you put it. Probably shouldn't do it anymore or you will break something for sure.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian339
Your obviously doing something wrong when you drive vigorously as you put it. Probably shouldn't do it anymore or you will break something for sure.
Or else there is something wrong with his car. He is not "obviously" doing something wrong.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by grubinski
Originally Posted by Brian339' timestamp='1386477233' post='22912540
Or else there is something wrong with his car. He is not "obviously" doing something wrong.
Its obvious he is doing something wrong. If he is doing it and there is something wrong with his car thats even worse wouldnt you say?
So whats your point??

Quick Reply: wheel hop