S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

wheel hop

Old 12-06-2013, 03:47 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
ok get new struts does that help?

The car in stock condition is not designed to be launched. So the "dont do that anymore" comment is legit.

please 6k dump clutch from a stop.
Trust me dont do that unless you got money to spend. Best advice going.

Just sounded to me like dude is launching the stock s2k. If you are not doing that then worn shocks/struts would cause the hop you speak of.

really? where did you get your information on s2k's not supposed to be launched? why am i to trust you? what experience do you have? i launch my stock s2k and so do most of the people who autocross. so i guess we are all wrong if we are to take your word for it. and yes i have accepted the fact that launching an s2k as in any car will wear down components and is something that should be taken into account with any car. he isnt looking for advice on how he should drive his car. he was looking for advice on what could be the cause of the issue. a quick search reveals this

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/570611-launching-ap2/

you should tell these guys they are all wrong.

to the OP how are your tires?
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iamxpL

really? where did you get your information on s2k's not supposed to be launched? why am i to trust you? what experience do you have? i launch my stock s2k and so do most of the people who autocross. so i guess we are all wrong if we are to take your word for it. and yes i have accepted the fact that launching an s2k as in any car will wear down components and is something that should be taken into account with any car. he isnt looking for advice on how he should drive his car. he was looking for advice on what could be the cause of the issue. a quick search reveals this

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/570611-launching-ap2/

you should tell these guys they are all wrong.

to the OP how are your tires?
Do what you want bro your right it is my opinion. the s2k in stock condition is not a drift car does not make enough power to break those tires loose into a burnout. You only have to drive a stock s2k once to know this. Launching is very hard
on the car imo thats all Im saying.

Seems to me the way he is driving the car is the problem. Just my opinion. So dont get all tweaked.

limited slip diff is not a good choice for burnouts or launching.

If you struts are good then well it should be obvious.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id look at the rear struts like a couple others have stated....and launching wont hurt the car...dumping the clutch at high RPM's is what damages the car
Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
id look at the rear struts like a couple others have stated....and launching wont hurt the car...dumping the clutch at high RPM's is what damages the car
to actually properly launch the car you have to be in high RPMS. low RPMS = broken rear end.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by iamxpL
Originally Posted by S2KIrishman' timestamp='1386337738' post='22910212
to actually properly launch the car you have to be in high RPMS. low RPMS = broken rear end.

the key word in my statement was "dumping"...anyone who just revs the car up and dumps the clutch does not know how to properly launch...preloading the clutch goes a long way...I agree, at events ill rev it to about 6500, preload the clutch to the point where the car is almost moving, ill pull the e-brake, wait until go time and then at the same time, drop the e-brake and slip the clutch until traction is achieved...done it since day one and I have 108k on my S now with absolutely no issues
Old 12-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Community Organizer

i rev up to about 6 and start lifting off the clutch slowly and as soon as i feel the car slightly move the i let off the clutch completely and its enough to break it loose. i agree dumping the clutch will destroy the rear end from the shock of the drive train. i should learn how to use it in conjunction with the e-brake for when the time comes to go to a pro solo.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Did anyone actually READ the OP?

Let me be clear, I don't go around launching my car.
But when I do take off aggressively, or there is poor traction, if the tires break loose, they hop.
I don't have any sage insight. But it would be nice if people could provide advice about the actual TOPIC, rather than "launching" into a discussion about driving styles. Pun intended.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
But when I do take off aggressively, or there is poor traction, if the tires break loose, they hop. Doesn't matter if I'm going straight or turning, it hops. If turning and the back end starts to slide, if the wheels end up spinning, they immediately hop.
guess you missed this part. its still a launch. although not a drag race start kind of launching. so i guess i mustve read it no? did you read the rest of the replies? i guess not? because if you did maybe you might have seen that there were already some suggestions on what it could be? we are awaiting for the op to respond.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ I can see why the topic went off track. the op said on one hand he doesnt launch then on the other hand "but" is added and he goes on about when i do.

It could very well be how he is "launching" seeing his miles on car are only 85k. The other option is struts but with only 85k on car seem reasonable it could be the way he is driving. Or he has lots of pot holes on the roads he drives and the struts are toast.

I am not that good at launching my s2k either Requires more practice compaired to other cars.

I appologize for my first comment it was kinda lame.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer

sorry if i was combative. and yes we dont know much about his driving style and habits and conditions. it could be a number of things. he didnt mention of any clunking or rattling noises. a blown shock would also exhibit a leaky strut.

first thing the OP should do is visually inspect all the components in the rear end.

also maybe the OP doesnt know that it was his VSA kicking on? when VSA kicks on it is quite a weird sensation.

Quick Reply: wheel hop