S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which wheel is the dominant drive wheel?

Old 03-06-2002, 10:49 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wesmaster
[B]

Hmm, I snapped my left axle first...then the other axle along with the diff.
Old 03-06-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone ever notice that the car always slides to the driver's left when you perform a high RPM launch or spin the tires shifting into a higher gear? What does it all mean?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Jerry, mine consistently moves to my right!

If the left axle is shorter than the right, then I'd expect the right will be the primary drive wheel, but I don't know.

UL
Old 03-06-2002, 01:33 PM

Received 805 Likes on 716 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ultimate lurker
[B]...I can tell you from experience that the passenger side tire gets the brunt of the work.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:04 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally posted by ultimate lurker

If the left axle is shorter than the right, then I'd expect the right will be the primary drive wheel, but I don't know.

UL
Why would the "primary" drive wheel be specifically associated with the side with the longer axle? I don
Old 03-06-2002, 02:20 PM

Just basing it on my experience with largely unequal length axle front drive cars. I don't think they'd design the axle to take more or less torque (but you never know). However, front drive cars I've worked on (with proper weighting) tend to exhibit wheelspin on the long axle side first. Of course, that's with proper weighting, which is a b**ch to get with just a driver. On 4th gen Civics the long axle is driver's side, so with just a driver the short axle side always spins first. But if you corner weight the car properly (and move some weight around) the long axle begins to spin first. Don't know why, but it does.

Billy, all valid points and I don't know the explanation. An interesting side note. When my last set of tires was near the end I decided to abuse them before replacing them. They looked pretty close on wear until I did a big left handed set of donuts. I would have figured the inside tire would spin and smoke, but the outside showed significantly more wear! My first set of tires indicated a wear imbalance too. Note, I don't slide my car very often.

UL
Old 03-06-2002, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When my car would shift like that it was the alignment, too much toe in rear total of 10mm

I figure if the right spins first, then the left is doing the remaining work. Maybe the engineers made the right axle longer but stiffer? To equal out what shock freq. hits the wheels? They seemed to have put some time into the halfshafts, and then it would be just the drivers weight that keeps the left from spinning first?
Old 03-06-2002, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by ultimate lurker

UL
The only real variable I can add here is that I have 58lbs of stereo equipment in my trunk/spare tire area. In other words, nearly all of that weight should go to the right rear tire. If weight modifies the characteristic, I can test simply by removing the "ballast" and finding some way to keep the power adders from smoking the clutch. I am skeptical weight is the sole contributor, I have tons of video with and without passengers and it always pulls to the left.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jerrypeterson
[B]Anyone ever notice that the car always slides to the driver's left when you perform a high RPM launch or spin the tires shifting into a higher gear?
Old 03-06-2002, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the fact that you all seem to be focusing on stuff other than the alignment, I assume that you've all had a good alignment done recently. Seriously, I had the same sorts of "bump-steer" feelings, as well as more twitchiness turning left than right, as well as more slide turning left than right until I had this recent alignment done. Now all of that is GONE.

I even thought I had spring-spacers in one of my rear springs, but it turns out it was a simple alignment problem. AND THIS IS THE 2nd TIME THIS HAS BEEN ALIGNED.

So my point is... Your interesting arguments may in fact have some bearing on this (crown of road, weight balance, half-shafts, etc...), but there may be a more basic answer. Please just don't ignore the basics.

Quick Reply: Which wheel is the dominant drive wheel?