S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel Bearings or stuck brakes?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearings or stuck brakes?

Soooo...

I've been chasing this noise that sounds like metal on metal grinding when i'm rolling at low speeds, coming from what sounds like the front passenger side. All the symptoms (based on searching the forums) point to bad bearings and not the brakes. However, I jacked up the car and tried the wobble your wheel test (all four corners) to check the bearings and the tire does no wiggle or budge. It's hard as a rock.

There is some faint metal on metal noise when I rotate either of the front tires, but nothing as glaring as when I'm driving around. Are the wheels supposed to be dead silent when I rotate them? My experience working with suspensions beyond a tire change or the axle nut is limited.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stafaa
Soooo...

I've been chasing this noise that sounds like metal on metal grinding when i'm rolling at low speeds, coming from what sounds like the front passenger side. All the symptoms (based on searching the forums) point to bad bearings and not the brakes. However, I jacked up the car and tried the wobble your wheel test (all four corners) to check the bearings and the tire does no wiggle or budge. It's hard as a rock.

There is some faint metal on metal noise when I rotate either of the front tires, but nothing as glaring as when I'm driving around. Are the wheels supposed to be dead silent when I rotate them? My experience working with suspensions beyond a tire change or the axle nut is limited.
is the sound coming from the front? if so, try to bend back the tab that is the brake pad indicator and drive again. if the sound is gone, it's the brakes and you need to replace the pads.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Community Organizer

Received 553 Likes on 505 Posts

Check for a bent/rubbing brake dust cover. (the thin tin cover over behind the wheel that covers the back of the disc. And make sure its not your pads rubbing on the disc, sometimes there can be a rock or foreign debris in there or between the pad, look for any abnormal grooves on the disc and make sure your wheels spins free and the caliper isn't dragging/ starting to seize. Start there.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 PM

wheel bearings don't always wobble or have any play when they are noisy. Wheel bearing will not always make noise when there is not wieght/load on them. Drive the car until you hear the noise then step on the brakes with your right foot, but keep the smae speed. Does the noise change? If not you need a bearing
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

take the wheels off and remove the brake pads. I would be willing to bet one of your rear bearings is bad. The brake pads will probably prevent the wiggle test for working as it did on my car on the rear.

With the wheels off and the rear pads removed it was crazy how much the rear rotor would wobble around. I had to replace both the knuckle/spindle/hub and bearing
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 AM

Yea. I tried taking the wheel off and wiggling too. But it doesn't budge. My next task I guess is to remove the pads. I'm fairly convinced its a bearing, but now I want to figure out if its the front or rear. Sounds like the front, but I recently had to do the axle nut tsb. I know acoustics can be weird and tho it sounds like the front passenger it could be somewhere else.

The tone doesn't seem to change when I apply the brakes. I really don't think it's that.

So short of getting a mic mounted in my fenders I think I'll be removing brake pads and try wiggling again.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Had the same symptoms on my car , had no play in my wheel but when I took the one side off the bearing was bad and the hub was thrashed. Sounded like it was front left but it was rear right lol

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 AM

My bet is wheel bearing.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM

had the same exact problem. my car would make this weird grinding/whirring/metal noise at low speeds and then the scraping would increase at high speeds. There was no play in the tire when i checked to test if it was due to a bad bearing. i took everything apart and sure it enough, just as i thought...it was the wheel bearing. they were completely car-f@#ked and i replaced both the hub and the bearings--now my car is healthy again! = ) if u are going to replace a bearing, i'd do it to the other side as well just because they both are worn out the same
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by avalencia90650
had the same exact problem. my car would make this weird grinding/whirring/metal noise at low speeds and then the scraping would increase at high speeds. There was no play in the tire when i checked to test if it was due to a bad bearing. i took everything apart and sure it enough, just as i thought...it was the wheel bearing. they were completely car-f@#ked and i replaced both the hub and the bearings--now my car is healthy again! = ) if u are going to replace a bearing, i'd do it to the other side as well just because they both are worn out the same
^ This.