S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

is this a wheel bearing sound?

Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vietdragontekx,Feb 11 2011, 05:38 AM
listen carefully when i hit the stop sign near the end of video and right when i pull into my driveway.

i hear this noise when im coasting from 40 and down. It get louder and louder at lower speed. i think it there at higher speed but i can barely hear it.

http://tinypic.com/r/316t7gn/7
Almost definitely a wheel bearing. Compare to my bad wheel bearing from last year:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsw_EwnUcGU [/media]

That was with the camera held a lot closer to the wheel than in your video, but I think the noises are pretty much the same.

Does the noise change if you slowly weave back and forth, and/or does it only make the noise while turning in one direction? That's a big sign of a wheel bearing.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds exactly like mine before I swapped the hub/bearings.

Mine was interesting-- bearings were good, but the hub had little rust pits on it. Water must have gotten in somehow. Anyway, you definitely have a bad wheel bearing and or hub.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it makes the sound louder and louder when im coasting down as speed decrease.

should i just change both sides?

seem like it's coming from the passanger rear side.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 PM

already order hub and bearing for passanger side already. is rear pass. and driver side the same part?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Well, I wasn't able to get any of the wheels to wiggle while tight, but it is definitely coming from the passenger side.

Driving home tonight, it seemed like it was actually coming from my front passenger wheel well area instead of the rear.

Where did you order your hub and bearing? Hondaautomotiveparts?

For those of you who replaced just the bearing, (they are about $50/ea), was it a problem getting the old one pressed out and in?

Btw, I managed to change my motor oil, tranny oil, differential oil, and replace my rear brake pads with a new oem set. Will be ordering a new set of fronts tomorrow after some reading just to make sure this noise isn't actually the metal clip low pad indicator on the back of my rotor assuming the rotor isn't 100% flat surfaced.

Either way, I believe it will be cheaper to do the front pads, and I need them anyway since I'm at 87k miles and none of the previous 3 owners ever replaced them. My rears pads were pitted and well below the 1mm threshold. I could barely see any pad on the fronts remaining.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 PM

^ ok just keep us updated though! coz i'm preeetty darn sure it's not the wheel bearing though.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by !@#$%,Feb 12 2011, 08:45 PM
Well, I wasn't able to get any of the wheels to wiggle while tight, but it is definitely coming from the passenger side.

Driving home tonight, it seemed like it was actually coming from my front passenger wheel well area instead of the rear.

Where did you order your hub and bearing? Hondaautomotiveparts?

For those of you who replaced just the bearing, (they are about $50/ea), was it a problem getting the old one pressed out and in?

Btw, I managed to change my motor oil, tranny oil, differential oil, and replace my rear brake pads with a new oem set. Will be ordering a new set of fronts tomorrow after some reading just to make sure this noise isn't actually the metal clip low pad indicator on the back of my rotor assuming the rotor isn't 100% flat surfaced.

Either way, I believe it will be cheaper to do the front pads, and I need them anyway since I'm at 87k miles and none of the previous 3 owners ever replaced them. My rears pads were pitted and well below the 1mm threshold. I could barely see any pad on the fronts remaining.
it's definitely wheel bearing, the noise got worst now. friend had the same exact sound with his s2000 when he had wheel bearing issue.

i order mine from ebay. some guy was selling the OEM HUB and bearing for $130 shipped to me.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The hub very rarely fails. The inner races on the bearing are way too tight for it to spin on the hub except if you hit a full lock situation, and you would know instantly if you did.

Autozone sells a high quality Timken bearing for $35.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM

So the race is built into the bearings for our type?

From the helms, it looks like we just have a clip and some kind of pulsar piece by the spindle nut (front).

I'm looking at the Timken unit on my desk, and I'm praying it does the trick.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

got mine fixed, car is at the shop and im picking it up later today. It was the wheel bearing and hub on passanger side.

definitely will love driving it more now without that annoying sound!

Quick Reply: is this a wheel bearing sound?