S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

is this a wheel bearing sound?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this a wheel bearing sound?

listen carefully when i hit the stop sign near the end of video and right when i pull into my driveway.

i hear this noise when im coasting from 40 and down. It get louder and louder at lower speed. i think it there at higher speed but i can barely hear it.

http://tinypic.com/r/316t7gn/7
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Id imagine a visual inspection would reveal something. sounds to me coming from the bearing/braking area. but I also hear a knock, maybe axle?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 AM

trust me. when the wheel bearing gives out it will give out. there was no warnign for me at all lol. it just made a loud as BOOOM and that was it. and to top it off, i couldn't go any faster than what you posted in your vid. if i did go faster, then it would get REAAL loud.

i'm no mechanic btw, but when did that problem occur? i've had several mishaps with my drive train parts so i may help you out to diagnose this issue.

edit: ok i just watched your vid over and over and that's definately not what i think it is, which you stated as a wheel bearing. that's actually different from what i experienced in the past. i went through a rear diff, wheel bearing, transmission bearing in/out, and drive shaft. none of those parts sounded like your problem. i'm gonna go out on a limb on this one and say it's the braking system. since whenever you decelerate the problem persist.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:37 AM

here's a how broken wheel bearing sounds like. it's not an s2k but the sound is EXACTLY the same.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XASIINpqC_I [/media]
Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by starchland,Feb 11 2011, 03:49 AM
but I also hear a knock, maybe axle?
it doesn't sound like a knock to me. near the end when he's "turning" into his drive way there's a squeaking noise.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It can knock, squeak, growl, and sound like sandpaper on wood. It depends on how it fails. Usually a squeak while turning in one direction, such as yours, is a bad bearing.

You definitely have a bad wheel bearing. You can probably jack that corner up and wiggle the wheel in and out.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes they make a kinda "creaking' noise as they go around. Jack up the rear end and wiggle the rear wheels. If you get movement, then you can bet on a wheel bearing.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SgtB,Feb 11 2011, 10:50 AM
It can knock, squeak, growl, and sound like sandpaper on wood. It depends on how it fails. Usually a squeak while turning in one direction, such as yours, is a bad bearing.

You definitely have a bad wheel bearing. You can probably jack that corner up and wiggle the wheel in and out.
This would be a good thing to do, you are feeling for side-to-side play in the wheel. Put your hands on opposite sides of the wheel (3 and 9 o'clock and 12 and 6 o'clock) and apply pressure in opposite directions.

Also, while you have the wheel up, give it a spin and see if you can hear anything.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM

sound like it coming from the passanger side rear wheel.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 AM

I have just discovered this exact same issue on mine as of about 2-3 days ago.

The sounds from the video are identical to what I've been experiencing.

From searching, I've come up with these things to check:
  • Greased/adjusted hood latch
  • Axle shaft small bearing shield on the end rusted/rubbing?
  • Grease fr/rr sway bar bushings
  • Tighten upper a-arm
  • Make sure all spring spacers are removed
  • Maybe grease door jams
  • Tighten spare tire
I've partially adjusted the hood on mine and took it for a small test drive and it didn't seem to fix the issue. My spare was tight also.

I'll be heading over to a family member's garage here in an hour or so to pull things apart and see if any of the above matches while I change the motor, tranny, and diff oil. From a visual inspection, it looks like everything is in place with the rear suspension and is completely symmetrical with the other side.

Others suggest a bad wheel bearing, which is what I think it is, but won't know for sure until I get the car up on jackstands. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and will update it if I manage to somehow fix it.

I'm not sure if a seal or bearing somehow got sand in it from all the terrible winter weather DFW got the last two weeks, but there's friction somewhere, and I plan to find out wth is going on.

-Alex

Quick Reply: is this a wheel bearing sound?