S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel bearing replacement

Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel bearing replacement

My right rear wheel bearing got toasted a few days ago. Armed with a s2ki diy and a simple variety of tools i started doing the job myself. Pretty straight forward, i do not have a press to remove the old hub and bearing so i was going to take it to my local stealership. Sure enough one dealer told me they needed the car even though I had the knuckle off the car and the new bearing in hand they would not press it for me and sent me on my way. The next closest dealership would press it for me $98.00 each!!! After some thinking I bought two knuckle assemblies off a local member part out for $200 total. Took my purchased bearings back to the stealership at a 10% re stocking fee.

Honda dealers suck

The question I have for the forum is the cotter pin on the lower control arm castle nut, is it a special cotter pin or can I just pick up a similar size at a hardware store??
Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure the cotter pins are the same, I've used the ones from hardware stores and they are still intact. Why didn't you just go to a small mechanic shop to have it pressed out? That's what I did and I only paid 40$ each side
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 AM

Received 1,395 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Competitor9
dealer told me they needed the car even though I had the knuckle off the car and the new bearing in hand they would not press it for me
Dealers are plumeting down the professional black hole. It appears they think they can force people to stop working on their own cars by refusing to do sub-jobs. In other words, they have the "that will teach you to work on your own car" attitude. They want the whole job, and get pissed when asked to "help" you do part of it.

Guess what dealers, a press is 100 bucks from harbor freight.

Now you have a guy on the forums who posts that you suck and he is right. And many will follow suit.

They could have said, "sure man leave em right here and I'll bang em out for ya after lunch". The customer would have walked away satisfied, and passed on his good experience. Good words spread as fast as the bad.

Dealer business ethics are pathetic...but hey it's fun to watch them bury themselves Times are changing dealers. Take car of the little guy, or become it... Be warned
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 214 Likes on 147 Posts

I'm surprised OP that you didn't find a local garage to do the work.

I avoid dealerships for anything that isn't warranty.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Dealer business ethics are pathetic...but hey it's fun to watch them bury themselves Times are changing dealers. Take car of the little guy, or become it... Be warned
This.

I recently had an issue with my MAP sensor, they wanted $60 for install
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 AM

I went to one mechanic before I went to Honda and was told they didn't have the right set up to press out the hub and such. He showed me that the brake dust shield gets in the way amd there was no way to support the knuckle while pressing out the hub.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM

I replaced my rear wheel bearing with a BFH.

Why does anyone think that someone else would want to help them pay less than full price for work?

Do you take raw chicken into a restaurant and expect them to cut you a deal on your entree?

Man up and learn to do it yourself, or pay your betters to do it for you.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k
I replaced my rear wheel bearing with a BFH.

Why does anyone think that someone else would want to help them pay less than full price for work?

Do you take raw chicken into a restaurant and expect them to cut you a deal on your entree?

Man up and learn to do it yourself, or pay your betters to do it for you.

I'm thinking you missed the point, I am not nor was I looking for a "discount" it seemed obvious to me they were overcharging me out of spite. $98 to press a hub out is far from status quo, $98 for both would seem more on point, the entire process is nothing that need take more then 15 minutes. If I thought I could utilize a press again I would probably just went out and bought the tool to do the job. However it seemed just as fair and easy to let the people that have the tool do it for me not for free but for a reasonable price.

Your parable about raw chicken and the restaurant is off basis. It would be more like you go to a salad bar with your girlfriend but she only likes her own homeade fat free dressing. Now since you brought in your own salad dressing they charge you $25 for a salad that typically only costs $7
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree I think 98 is fair but dealers are more than a regular shop. I expect 100 for about 45 minutes of work. And remember If they mess up they are responsible.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys want to continue this thread over here?

special tools for wheel bearing replacement

What is a BFH anyway?

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement