S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Wheel Bearing..I think?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Bearing..I think?

Hello Guys,

I have been dealing with this noise for over a year now...I intially took it to my buddy who tunes my car and did my mods...he told me it was my wheel bearing so we replaced that..and the noise went away for about 1000 kms....then it came back..I went back to him...he tightened the axle nut..it went away for another 1000 kms..I did that a couple of times with him.

In the summer I took it to the local dealership as what my buddy was doing wasn't helping in the long run..they lubed up the bushings, tightened the axle nut, and couldn't see a dahm thing wrong...the noise went away for about 3000kms...

Well now its back..I took it back to Honda..they have no idea what it is..THe guy thinks its my tire rubbing..which I doubt highly as it doesn't sound like that...

Here are the facts
1) Noise only occurs when the car is warm
2) Happens on the Passenger side rear wheel
3) Sounds like rubbing/squeaking
4) When I hit the brakes it doesn't make a louder sound..which cancels the idea of brakes out
5) When I turn left the noise becomes louder-when I turn right..it goes away

I think thats about it...Anything would be great guys..Thank you.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

this is definitley a bad wheel bearing. make sure you change the hub along with the bearing. the bearings have been known to screw up the hubs.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem. Since it only happened when hot I was unable to get Honda to fix it before my extended warranty ran out. I finally removed the nut, cleaned and lubed the surface, and put about 240 lbs/ft on it. No noise in the four months and 3K miles since then.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:36 PM

I had the wheel bearing replaced about a year ago..which solved the problem for a bit..the hub wasn't replaced..however whenever the wheel bearings have been lubed up the noise goes away for a long time...

hmmm okay cool...I'll try removing the nut and cleaning it all out and lubing it..since i'm sort of a newbie to this..

1) What is the size of socket required to remove the nut
2) What do you recommend lubing it all up in?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-31-2006, 01:37 PM

its a 36mm nut..... as for the lube, maybe someone can chime in on that one.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:02 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used generic synthetic high temp grease.

I agree that if your hub was damaged after the first bearing failed, then the replacement bearings will fail much more quickly...even if the hub nut was torqued correctly.

Also...if the mechanic who replaced the orginal bearing followed the manual, he probably torqued the nut at 180 rather than 220...which would lead to failure as well. I've also seen on a friend's car where a mechanic failed to notch the nut to keep it from backing out.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:04 PM

Any idea what a hub is worth??

I'm thinking I'm going to take this one to a mechanic and just get is all done there..
Old 12-31-2006, 03:05 PM

this is probably a stupid question and I'm going to get flamed for it..but what is the actual hub?

I replaced the bearing and the axle nut...-but thats not the actualy hub is it? I'm guessing the hub is what the wheel bearing itself is connected to?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:19 PM

it doesn't take very long for a bad bearing to damage the hub.

I know wholesale I am paying 90 bucks I think for the hub so look for it to be about 115 from the dealer. At least those are the numbers as close as I can remember.

the hub will come with the wheel studs already pressed in. The hub is the part the disc and wheel mount to. It is pressed into the wheel bearing and the axle shaft splines into it and the axle nut is torque onto the outside.

As someone mentioned the torque specs for the bearing have changed.

You will need a new hub and bearing most likely. The nut can be reused IMHO...
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, brings up a good question:

Which part is actually damaged when the bearing goes. I frequently consider the hub as the whole assembly that includes the "knuckle". Take a look at the diagram in the link:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...atcgry5=KNUCKLE

The hub bearing is pressed into the knuckle and then the hub is pressed into the knuckle so it becomes one assembly. The hub and hub bearing is shown below:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...gry5=REAR+BRAKE

What is damaged...the hub...the knuckle...both?

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing..I think?