S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's wrong with my car?

Old 11-02-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Problem with the starter motor - getting it replaced soon.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May I ask what year And the mileage on ur car ?
Old 11-04-2015, 05:57 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

You said car only starts if you get a 'bump start'. That term refers exclusively to pushing a manual trans vehicle, then putting it in gear and popping clutch, so as to use forward momentum to turn over engine and get it to fire.

Is this what you did? I ask because often people say 'bump start' when they really mean jump start, as in using jumper cables to get enough juice into car to turn it over.

This distinction is important to your diagnosis of it being starter. Push start, aka bump start, doesnt use the starter motor. So if its bad, its understandable resorting to this was successful.

But jump starting does use the startet motor. So if jump starting worked consistently, its hard to see how it could really be the starter.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are referring to a push start where you roll to start that would be a bump start someplaces. Any rate the starter sounds like a good enough place to start.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't have the clutch interlock switch in Australia by the way, I think that's purely a USDM thing
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59 PM

I wouldn't advise any one to jump start a s2000 with leads you will end up with a bad ecu / ecm.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by THE REAL DEAL.
I wouldn't advise any one to jump start a s2000 with leads you will end up with a bad ecu / ecm.
'Leads' meaning using jumper cables from another car? That can harm ecu? Please explain.

Sent from my SM-G920P using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
'Leads' meaning using jumper cables from another car? That can harm ecu? Please explain.
Jump starting a car is hard on diodes since it exposes the diodes to more voltage than the diodes are designed to withstand. Right when the dead car starts during a jump, you have two alternators throwing current into the wires. If one or both of the cars is revving their engines, it pushes more current into the system than either car is designed to handle.

Jump starting is hard on alternators since it commonly destroys the diodes in the alternator. A diode is a one-way electrical check valve that allows electricity to only flow one way. The alternator produces an alternating current, which is made into a DC current with the use of diodes. If the diodes go bad, there is no direct current flow of electricity.

I'm not familiar with ECU problems from a jump, but it makes sense that an ECU would also be sensitive to current surges. In my opinion if you absolutely have to get a jump with leads from another car. DO NOT rev the engine on either car until the leads are removed.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1446741680' post='23795908
Jump starting a car is hard on diodes since it exposes the diodes to more voltage than the diodes are designed to withstand. Right when the dead car starts during a jump, you have two alternators throwing current into the wires. If one or both of the cars is revving their engines, it pushes more current into the system than either car is designed to handle.

Jump starting is hard on alternators since it commonly destroys the diodes in the alternator. A diode is a one-way electrical check valve that allows electricity to only flow one way. The alternator produces an alternating current, which is made into a DC current with the use of diodes. If the diodes go bad, there is no direct current flow of electricity.

I'm not familiar with ECU problems from a jump, but it makes sense that an ECU would also be sensitive to current surges. In my opinion if you absolutely have to get a jump with leads from another car. DO NOT rev the engine on either car until the leads are removed.
Short of miss crossing the -/+ terminals, I fail to see how chaining together one dead Batt to a voltage regulated Batt source is jeopardizing "diodes" or any part of the electrical system including the ECU, from either car/source. Sound like your straining here a bit. If it was/could be a problem to any marginal degree, it wouldn't be a regular practice. So i resent the original statement as something resembling fact as well as your dubious explanation to support it. In all my years of dealing with jumping a variety of vehicles including the S2000, ive never experienced a failure of any sorts to the electrical system, so I don't put much weight on this, certainly as a disclaimer to avoid if thats what it takes to get the vehicle going again.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:55 PM

we only sharing opinionsguys on the knowledge that we have I been in this motor field for a very longnumber of year not saying that I know everything or it can’t be don but howmany times do we read the manuals does anyone know the exact procedure on howto jump start a car? Every cars manual is different with instructions. There isa big difference between the cars we drive know then 30 years ago. Cars aremore advance in technical terms and more cheap on components today then theywere back then.

A customer came in my garagenot long ago and was saying his ford cars ecu codes are gone because he hadhalf of the things still on in the car and he puts the leads on with theignition switch turned on lost the key codes. But he said on reading the manualit says turn everything off put the positive lead on first then negative on adifferent point in the engine bay. Afterputting the leads on start the donor car after 10 min. then start the dead carif it starts leave it running for 10 min then turn the dead car off and thedonor car take the leads off try starting the dead car if it doesn’t start geta new battery.

To be Reasonable thealternator is not supposed to charge a dead battery for one, it will just overheat maxing out. The instant you take the jumpleads of, your alternator senses the new load and wants to put out a fullcharge especial if the battery is dead which is in most cases.

Average stock car alternatorsmax out at around 100 amps. A battery that is dead from powering headlights allday for example could easily draw a 1000 to 1200 amps. A small starter can easilydraw 130 to 150 amps or even more.

Alternators produce 3-phasealternating current. A set of diodes rectify correct the direction of the currentand a regulator limits its minimums and maximums to something resembling 14volts DC. In modern alternators, regulators and rectifier diodes are small,cheap internal components of the alternator, exposed to all the heat generatedinside the frame which innormal operating conditions, the alternator experiences manageable amounts ofheat. When you try jumping a dead battery, the regulator first fights extremefluctuations in voltage, then an extremely heavy load as the whole systemrapidly heats up far beyond tolerances and when blown regulators sometimes actually continue to charge, only at absolutemaximum, with voltages reaching 40 volts dc and random AC voltages depending onrotation speed. At this point any Thing can happen from power surge,spikes tosetting the car on fire.

Please watch this link just past it in googleif it dosnt click. This lady said she beenjump starting cars for 40 years and look what happens in 10 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3bu0TN_0eE