S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

whats under the Vtec solenoid?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats under the Vtec solenoid?

Quick question. I removed the vtec solenoid to clean it out and check resistance and thought the oiling thing under it was all one piece. Well I popped it out and realized i had no clue what it was. [/IMG] before I go firing up the engine again I wanted to make sure I wont have a problem. I assume it has something to do with more oil delivery during vtec? BtW the picture is just for reference
Old 06-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Timing Chain Tensioner...
Old 06-24-2010, 12:32 PM

Ahhah the source of the infamous clicking noise. I thought the TCT was inside the front chain cover?
Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM

Nope, that's it right there Just like Juiced said.

If you're planning to remove it, be careful in doing so.

Edit: Just noticed you already removed it. I believe you're going to have to perform a little technique to get retract the spring loaded rod back in. In fact, go pick up a fresh one with a cotter pin installed and you'll have a nice new TCT to not worry about.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Well, that technically is inside the front chain cover, it's just on the side of the font chain cover, and it does not just pull out when you un bolt it, you have to compress the tensioner by inserting a M5 0.8 bolt i think it was in the maintenance hole of the tensioner to remove it..
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by JuicedS2K,Jun 24 2010, 02:38 PM
Well, that technically is inside the front chain cover, it's just on the side of the font chain cover, and it does not just pull out when you un bolt it, you have to compress the tensioner by inserting a M5 0.8 bolt i think it was in the maintenance hole of the tensioner to remove it..
I didn't have to do that, for removal I just unscrewed and pulled it out the side. The maintenance hole is needed to pull the cotter pin out when you install/reinstall.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyCB,Jun 24 2010, 12:40 PM
I didn't have to do that, for removal I just unscrewed and pulled it out the side. The maintenance hole is needed to pull the cotter pin out when you install/reinstall.
yes sorry, i did not mean maintenance hole, I removed it per Honda co. of America instructions last week. It told me not to pull the tensioner out until i was able to compress it, which is what i did, if it comes out with out compressing it then awesome, I'm just not aware if it does or not.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 PM

Ok so let me get this straight. I popped out the tct..... looked at it. went ohh crap.put it back in and bolted it up.... Should I pull it back out and rebuild it just for good measure? im sitting at 110k.

I haven't fired up the car yet since I'm still going to clean out the vtec solenoid.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh oh. There are quite a few pieces inside of the tct. A couple springs, worm gear, piston etc. First hopefully you didn't drop any of those pieces inside of the chain case. Second its probably putting ALOT of pressure on the chain guide and will most likely cause some extreme wear on it fairly quickly. I'm not an expert on tct's but I would remove it and either purchase a new one, or take that one to your local honda dealership to have retracted and pinned.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:03 PM

Here is whats sitting on my desk

Quick Reply: whats under the Vtec solenoid?