S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?

Old 03-30-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard more negative than positive, though there are people that swear by it.

FWIW RoadRage stated recently he only uses lubecontrol's FP60 for cleaning the fuel system.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin S2k,Mar 30 2006, 11:18 AM
I've heard more negative than positive, though there are people that swear by it.

FWIW RoadRage stated recently he only uses lubecontrol's FP60 for cleaning the fuel system.
Cool, thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old topic but hopefully someone can help. I just bought Redline SI-1 and I'm a little confused.

What does RR mean when he said, "so be sure to use it full strength only when properly titrated, or in smaller amounts for continuous cleaning."

What does properly titrated mean?
Should I use the whole bottle or small amounts like the bottle shows?

In case it makes a difference I have 29K miles.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:00 PM

Also, since I have never used a additive before, should I wait until before I change the oil?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajserrano,Jun 11 2006, 08:46 PM
I know this is an old topic but hopefully someone can help. I just bought Redline SI-1 and I'm a little confused.

What does RR mean when he said, "so be sure to use it full strength only when properly titrated, or in smaller amounts for continuous cleaning."

What does properly titrated mean?
Should I use the whole bottle or small amounts like the bottle shows?

In case it makes a difference I have 29K miles.
Titrate means to administer a measured amount. In chemistry you would normally use a titrator (eye dropper) applying one drop at a time to a measured amount of a different substance until the original substance changes color or changes it's physical properties (liquid, solid, gas). The amount used (ml) is used to solve the chemical equation.
RR's reference to titration (he is a scientist so you have to expect this type of vocabulary!) refers to adding only the recommended amount (or less) of the fuel cleaner to the exact desired quantity of gasoline (the label probably lists a recipe). Apparently more is not better in the use of this product. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:00 AM

I have to say, I may stop posting technical info on this Forum - I mean, this thread gets 4 or 5 reads, but a thread on "My exhaust pipe is dirty - Help!" gets 45 replies. I already know this stuff - typing it and analysing it for the layman is time away from my family and my car.
I've not been an owner that long but rest assured when i see a post from you, i read it and greatly appreciate it. It's kinda like expert ADVICE from my mechanic back home.

Don't recall you ever telling someone to do something, but always listed different ways it can be done.

Sooooo Thanks RR
Old 12-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone use lucas oil products?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Dec 25 2003, 09:34 AM
Camry owners who have used cheezy oil or neglected their oil changes have found this out the hard way. That car (the V6) seems especially sensisitve to oil galley clogging and oil related deposists.
First off
I've been reading your posts lately and am glad I found them.. Thanks

I have a 98 Toyota Camry V6 and just received a letter from Toyota stating the sludging
problem with that engine. They extended the waranty and will cover all sludging realted
problems 100%. BTW I'm past the time period..

I used castrol and quaker state for about 30,000 miles and noticed sludge building up on
everything and that's when I switched to Redline then Amsoil and back to Redline to help
keep the engine clean. I have 150,000 miles and it runs great.. I also use the redline
fuel injector cleaner in it as well as everything else since 1989..

I thought it was funny that you posted this in 2003 and they're just now getting me the info..

Old 12-02-2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by macr88,Dec 1 2006, 04:38 PM
First off
I've been reading your posts lately and am glad I found them.. Thanks

I have a 98 Toyota Camry V6 and just received a letter from Toyota stating the sludging
problem with that engine. They extended the waranty and will cover all sludging realted
problems 100%. BTW I'm past the time period..

I used castrol and quaker state for about 30,000 miles and noticed sludge building up on
everything and that's when I switched to Redline then Amsoil and back to Redline to help
keep the engine clean. I have 150,000 miles and it runs great.. I also use the redline
fuel injector cleaner in it as well as everything else since 1989..

I thought it was funny that you posted this in 2003 and they're just now getting me the info..
Old 01-14-2007, 08:45 AM

using the same gas company every fuel up is a plus.. you are gonna get better fuel mpg cuz the computer has to relearn the new fuel every time

Quick Reply: What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?