S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?

Old 01-11-2004, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
Old 06-10-2004, 05:18 PM

Here is an update:

You may see posts from people who say "why do i need aftermarket cleaners? Fuels are required by law to have adequate detergents. You are just throwing you money away".

This is of course, only partially true. yes, there have been attempts to "legislate" detergents in the interest of air quality, but the point is, they either were inadequate, the fuels changed, or were essentially ignored since there is little or no enforcement.

1) Inadequate - the gas companies and the legislators "negotiated" - what good usually comes out of such negotiations. Compromise at best. Even in the hey-day of the detergent quality about 10 years ago, the levels and the quality of the detergents were marginal, at best.

2) Fuels changed - reformulated gasolines usually consist of some form of alcohol enrichment - when these alcohols "burn", esp at shut off when they accumulate on the injector pintle during hot soak, they can leave behind nasty gummy deposits. This can also accumulate on the intake valves, and on the tops of pistons - one some engines (like low clearance Camry V-6), piston slap caused by deposits whacking the intake valves is not uncommon. The Camry V6 is a very problematic engine when ti comes to oil and fuel deposits.

3) Enforcement - seen any big stories on the news about "gasoline busts"? Right - they do not exist. An industry newsletter I get estimates that most fuels today contain only about 1/10 of the detergents needed to maintain adequate performance. Adequate.

The best formulas I have seen are (in no order):
Pennzoil Regane (those amines are not cheap)
Chevron Techron
Redline SI-2 or SI-1 (I use SI-1 in every tankful).

The stronger cleaners like Regane or Techron are best used in the last tankful BEFORE an oil change. Doing it AFTER an oil change tends to dilute/pollute the fresh oil.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In support of the claim that "most fuels today contain ......" in RR's last post - have a look at this newsletter from the Convenience Store Petroleum Assoc. :

http://www.cspnet.com/index_top_stories.ph...1a66f57683b4d63
Old 06-22-2004, 04:20 PM

RR - Your post are greatly appreciate.

I for one, have stopped using Fram Filters!!!

I Haven't used fuel additives, but I'll will start.
Old 06-22-2004, 04:52 PM

As always, quality information. I had been wondering whether or not to start using a fuel system cleaner. I had faithfully used Syntec in my Grand Prix GTP and went 67k with no obvious problems. Thanks for your posts.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Thiz year
In support of the claim that "most fuels today contain ......" in RR's last post - have a look at this newsletter from the Convenience Store Petroleum Assoc. :

http://www.cspnet.com/index_top_stories.ph...1a66f57683b4d63
Thanks for posting that - I knew I was right, but some people have to have a link, and what I posted about diminishing detergents and complete non-enforcement is all true. I have always recommended Chevron Supreme, and I am glad to see that support was justified. It is the fuel all the car companies use when they go to emissions testing.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM
VR4

to bring up and old (but very useful topic).....

all i can say about 44K is whats on the back of the can.

mineral spirits (CAS 8052-41-3), hydrotreated light petroleum distillates (CAS 64742-47-8), light aromatic solvent naptha (CAS 64742-95-6), 01154100-5265P (trade sectret)

that is exactly how it lists contents on the can.
part number 208
Old 09-09-2005, 02:57 PM

Any info on Lube control stuff? I beleive the FP60 is what it is called.

Thanks!

BTW, this thread was posted up on a sticky on a totally different sight, these informative threads travel.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:07 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi all,
Have any of you used this product called "Sea Foam" (full name: Sea Foam Motor Treatment)? Are you still here, Road Rage?

It was recommended to me by a couple of sources, and I was just wondering how it compares to some of the products here. I don't have a bottle with me handy, so I'm not sure what the active ingredients are, but the next time I buy a bottle, I'll have a look.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:23 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Found more information here:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/pdf/MSDS_SFTT_US.pdf
Pale Oil: 40-60%
Naphtha: 25-35%
IPA: 10-20%

I know RR mentioned Naphtha is strong stuff, but is 25-35% too much?

I'm assuming IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol.

No idea what pale oil is, other than that it's not carcinogenic.

Quick Reply: What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?