S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?

Old 01-03-2004, 06:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
FWIW, I normally get about 24 mpg.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

RR- you may be right on the driving difference. w1ngman led for about half a tank...s-l-oooooo-w!
Old 01-08-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, second tank of fuel burned consisted of an inordinate amount of idling and some stop-n-go driving as well as some highway miles. I registered 25.25 mpg. Maybe there is something to the additives afterall. Time will tell.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, i went ahead and got the techron additive yesterday while i was fueling up at chevron yesterday. i got 23.75MPG on my last tank, i'll let you guys know how this tank does. btw this is the first time using chevron 93 octane gasoline and the techron additive(i added the additive BEFORE filling up). i'll try to keep the driving conditions similar.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage . . . part throttle and cruise situations are most affected by the deposits, esp on the intake valves - they soak up the gas and cause the closed-loop system to sned in more fuel to avoid a lean-out. At WOT, so much fuel is being dumped that the deposits saturate and essentially are no longer being gremlins.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:13 AM
gsp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey the plugs pictured in the link above are tapered seat!

Why in the world are you running tapered seat plugs?????????????????? What caused the failure in this engine? Spark plug tip?

Wrong plugs?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by gsp
Hey the plugs pictured in the link above are tapered seat!

Why in the world are you running tapered seat plugs?????????????????? What caused the failure in this engine? Spark plug tip?

Wrong plugs?
Yes, they are tapered seat. That's what you get if you go to an auto parts store and don't want to put Champions in it. I guess I could have ordered NGK plugs but from my VW days I knew Bosch were least likely to seize in the aluminum heads so I figured why not?

They never showed signs of running hot, even though several people on this board said they would, matter of fact they looked perfect every time I checked them. You can see the good plug is definitely not hot.

As to why it failed, who knows. Maybe it got dropped somewhere along the line, maybe I had a detonation problem, though I don't think so.

But that's off the track, I only posted the link to get feedback on the amount of deposits on the head & valves and suggestions for preventing a recurrance.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

RR,

Would you use a regular Techron bottle WITH Chevron Supreme? Would this not be too potent of a solution for our small tank? What about the larger Techron bottle? Aren't there 2 Techron products (I've seen them both at Autozone)?

I agree with Modifry about the title of the threads. I seem to have missed all your technical threads.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:23 PM
lig
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

On a semi-related note - any suggestions for a good throttle body cleaner?

Thanks in advance, guys.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chevron Supreme may not have enough Techron to rid your car of all the deposits - there is no standard for additives in fuel, and mfrs have been cutting back. Plus, heavy oxygenates in reformulated gas make for more gunk, and those fuels do not have prorotionally larger amounts of Techron. So I would not worry at all about overdoing it. Run the "outboard" Techron once a month or just before every oil change.

Quick Reply: What's in those fuel injector cleaners? Are they safe?