S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Whats with my clutch?

Old 03-15-2002, 05:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Whats with my clutch?

I have this strange thing when I start up the car in the mornings and other times too.............but I put the clutch in start up the car put the car in Neutral then let the clutch out and the car lurches forward! Like it was half engaged. Also when rolling backwards in say 1st with the clutch in it goes very slowly if I pull it out of gear which is hard to get out it then rolls really nice! WTF!

How do I adjust this so it stop. I have been ignoring it for a long time but its spring and time to get all the quarks out of the car.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't adjust it. You are either losing pressure in the clutch hydraulics (i.e. bad/leaky master/slave) or you have something seriously wrong with your clutch.

There is always some viscous coupling between the clutch and PP and this "anomoly" you have experienced is somewhat normal at high RPMS with the clutch disengaged in 1st gear... but it sounds like yours is much much more pronounced.

I'd immediately take it to the dealer. Check your reserviour for the clutch and see if you are low on fluid, though even if you are, you probably need to have the hydraulics flushed/bled to get air out.
Old 03-15-2002, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Pinky, been over 110mph latley?
Old 03-15-2002, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by cmnsnse
Hey Pinky, been over 110mph latley?
Sorry, I should explain. Pinky is describing a hang up that is within the transmission, and not a case of the clutch after all. Sounds like an issue of the needle bearing on first gear(or the syncro's binding). Make sure you have all your fluid in the tranny, if its low or if you have driven very fast (sometime before this started happening) you could have damaged your bearings I beleive either prolonged high speed, OR repeated high speed will contribute.

I really hope it's not that, and maybe its just aggravated by the lower temps??
Old 03-15-2002, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is also a symptom of a worn out clutch disc. It can happen when the disc is worn down to the rivets or the lining is separated. How many miles on that car, Pinky?
Old 03-15-2002, 07:36 PM

My problem with the clutch theory is the lurching forward with the transmission in neutral?!

The transmission should not 'transmit' enough power to do that in neutral. The car shouldnt move at all even if you rev'd to 9k.

Now if it were in gear with the clutch pedal depressed all the way and the car moved, that's a different story.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cmnsnse
[B]My problem with the clutch theory is the lurching forward with the transmission in neutral?!
Old 03-15-2002, 07:46 PM

I'd hate to think its an early symptom of my transmission failure. Maybe Pinky got a little confused in his description?

PINKERSTEIN!! where are you ?

wait there's more, if rolling backwards while in first gives resistance, wouldnt that indicate a problem with the first gear needle bearing?

Hey Pinky, try rolling in backwards while in the other gears . . .
Old 03-16-2002, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Well let me just say that this has been going on SINCE the TSB was done for the clutch. So say 15K! Its always bothered me just now looking to do something about it.

So I think it has to do with the clutch not totally disengaging the transmission. I will give you 2 examples like I did before. Sitting over night in 1st gear push clutch in start car pull out of 1st and let out clutch it goes boomf very very quietly and the car just slightly rolls forward.
The other instance is when its in my driveway(inclined) and it sits in 1st gear. I push in the clutch to roll backwards and it does so but not freely. I pull it out of gear and there is some resistance and boomf(louder this time) and it rolls freely!

Does that help at all. As for my driving habbits? Well hell of course I have been past 110! Not for more than a minute at a time. No prolonged stints.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:29 AM

Pinky, when you roll out of your driveway, try putting it in second and roll out, if there is less drag, your 1gear would be to blame.

Your tranny is in neutral when the car rolles forward?! in neutral the car should NOT move at all. No matter what you do to the clutch!!

Also you are more likely to notice a problem after you have work done on your car - I noticed the clicks right after the service work, but they didnt touch my axles! I may not have noticed it just before.

Find my transmission threads, the oil pump sucks air at low speeds - it can build up over time . . .

Quick Reply: Whats with my clutch?