S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's with my 2-3 shift? (solution)

Old 08-07-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like we all drive the same car LOL.

I dont have the problem at high rpms.

I did notice at lower normal rpms going from second to third if you depress clutch and slowly shift with firm pressure but slow and slightly move shifter a tadd in the first gear direction theres a sweet spot. Dont go too far or you will be in first. I only do this method for cruising in town slow. It never happens into third from a down shift that seems odd to me. The transmission likes the shifter being pushed closer to the first side going into third than the fifth side. Crazy but works for my ap1 s2000.

Its that little click, notch, burr ever so slight grind I will live with.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:50 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

I assure you all....rev to 5500, and get into 3rd swiftly. The notch will disappear.

All s2ks do it, and all s2ks can avoid it. The gears need to be up to speed plain and simple.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
I assure you all....rev to 5500, and get into 3rd swiftly. The notch will disappear.

All s2ks do it, and all s2ks can avoid it. The gears need to be up to speed plain and simple.
you are right..past 5k my car doesnt do it...i guess what bothers me the most is that i feel like im avoiding a problem by doing that rather than fixing the problem...but ive seen you post this very answer in similar threads...if every s2000 does it i guess its really not a problem
Old 08-08-2013, 03:59 AM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

What many people do when they shift 2-3 is they pause to long. It allows the mainshaft to slow to a point that when you shift to third, you are actually speeding UP the mainshaft with the syncro. This is the bump/notch that many feel. The mainshaft wants to be slowed, not sped up. Simply put, you need to be faster from 2 to 3.

2nd and 3rd gear are close in ratio. Don't forget this car was designed as a roadster/racecar and needs to act accordingly when driven as such.

It naturally does not happen in 2nd because 1-2 is a straight shot and there is no time for the mainshaft to decel.

If driven in a lazy fashion, the bump/notch will always be there in every s2k out there.

Get the revs up and be faster with the 2-3 shift and EVERY s2k will eliminate the bump/notch.

All 3rd gear bumps are driver induced. If I get lazy my car will do it, as will every s2k I drive.

Shifters to date that I removed and cleaned/greased to eliminate any problem: 0
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get it too, doesnt happen when shifting above 5000

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-10-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What many people do when they shift 2-3 is they pause to long. It allows the mainshaft to slow to a point that when you shift to third, you are actually speeding UP the mainshaft with the syncro. This is the bump/notch that many feel. The mainshaft wants to be slowed, not sped up. Simply put, you need to be faster from 2 to 3.

2nd and 3rd gear are close in ratio. Don't forget this car was designed as a roadster/racecar and needs to act accordingly when driven as such.

It naturally does not happen in 2nd because 1-2 is a straight shot and there is no time for the mainshaft to decel.

If driven in a lazy fashion, the bump/notch will always be there in every s2k out there.

Get the revs up and be faster with the 2-3 shift and EVERY s2k will eliminate the bump/notch.

All 3rd gear bumps are driver induced. If I get lazy my car will do it, as will every s2k I drive.

Great info!! thanks for the response...one thing i found that helped if i shift below 5k is shifting faster like you mentioned..dont feel it if i dont pause to long between 2-3
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM

Billman I know you know your s#*t but I'm a little confused here. By shift quick do you mean you should not wait for the revs to match? Or is that fine to do. I get the bump occasionally as does everyone when I get lazy and wait too long to release the clutch, but I never seem to have a problem at any rpm when rev matching. Just curious is I should drop that habit and shift quicker.

Side note, how does a double clutch gearbox with a .001 second gear change not hurt the motor. Seems like slowing a motor down that fast would cause damage (but obviously doesn't) Off topic over now.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:25 PM

Make sure you're shifting properly. Stupid answer, but you'd be surprised how many people have their foot slightly touching the throttle midshift. Make's a difference.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed this problem first time I ever shifted into 3rd gear from 2nd. Only thing that I have been able to do to not experience it is shift fast with high rpms on a warmed transmission or shift very slow on a cold or hot transmission.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:26 AM

i have the same problem when shifting below 4k, i shift above 4500 and it goes away.

Quick Reply: What's with my 2-3 shift? (solution)