S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

what your spark plugs should not look like...

Old 07-03-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what your spark plugs should not look like...

hey guys- was hearing some detonation on my 01 S with 46K (just pulled my car out of storage after 7 months-wife was starting it once a week) and a noisy lifter so i went in to get valves adjusted and pljugs changed. (only have had the car for 3k miles so needed to get done anyways)- i guess your car sitting in storage is bad for plugs!

sorry for blurry pic but you get idea. 1 valve had to be adjusted- rest were within spec. car runs great now!
(just in case you cant see the plugs were a doodoo brown)
Old 07-03-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've let mine sit for 4 months every winter for 5 years and never had any problems...
Old 07-04-2006, 05:10 AM

well everything else on the car was great and the recalled plugs put in at 27k- only thing me and the mechanic could think of. I guess your car is the shit....
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are those plugs supposed to look blurry?

Warren
Old 07-04-2006, 07:28 AM

The browning on the plugs like that are normal.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 AM

[QUOTE=bizlipkick,Jul 3 2006, 05:17 PM](just pulled my car out of storage after 7 months-wife was starting it once a week)

(only have had the car for 3k miles so needed to get done anyways)-
Old 07-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

^ Agreed, starting it once a week without driving it its the worst you can do for the engine. Mine sits from October to April. One Start in April is all it takes.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When storing your car, unclip the roof, no need to retract it tho.
Over inflate your tires, do not use emergency brake (you will stretch it).
Throw stoppers behind the wheel. Fuel stabilizer wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

I'm sure there's a few more good points somewhere on the fourm.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=iDomN8U,Jul 4 2006, 11:13 AM]When storing your car, unclip the roof, no need to retract it tho.
Over inflate your tires, do not use emergency brake (you will stretch it).
Throw stoppers behind the wheel.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Intrepid175,Jul 4 2006, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't have thought of over inflating the tires. If I were that worried about it, I'd put the car up on jack stands. But whatever works.........

I use the emergency brake every time I park the car. Granted it's not applied for six months straight......... Still, as long as the car is parked on level ground, that's Ok.

Wheel chocks and fuel stabilizer will never hurt anything.

What I'm unsure of is what difference unclipping the roof will make? Most of our cars spend more time, total out of a 24 hr day, with the top up than down, even those who say they "never" drive with the top up. As long as the car is stored inside and is covered, I wouldn't have a problem with this but not everyone can do that. Cover or not, I wouldn't do this if the car were stored outside as you're exposing the interior to the elements. Just wondering what the advantage of this would be?

Drive Safe,
Steve R.
Keeping the car suspended on stands for long periods of time is bad for the structure of the car..Unless you are on a completly level ground and all 4 points are level then youll be ok. 99% of the time you cant get all 4 points level...you risk putting extra torsional stress on the body by using stands especially sitting for long periods of time is
Second, suspending the car is bad on the struts. Its not meant to be extended for long periods. Your better off to over inflate the tires to 50psi and leave 1g load on all the suspension pieces.

On the other point, I dont see any point in unclipping the roof. The roof is designed to be secured and locked...I only see leaving the roof unclipped a benifit if you want to provide a new home for squirls and other rodents...Let them chew on your leather seats..yumm

Quick Reply: what your spark plugs should not look like...