S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What would cause this?

Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What would cause this?

Earlier today my buddy and I were out in my S. At low speed coming back into the neighborhood we could hear a sort of grinding sound coming from the rear passenger wheel. We didn't hear it as the brakes were applied or at acceleration. Once we pulled the car in the garage we notice a couple of grooves had been ground into the rotor but we had what appeared to be plenty of brake pad left.

Any suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it? Luckily the car is not my daily anymore but I'd still like to get it fixed pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 7 2006, 11:28 AM
Earlier today my buddy and I were out in my S. At low speed coming back into the neighborhood we could hear a sort of grinding sound coming from the rear passenger wheel. We didn't hear it as the brakes were applied or at acceleration. Once we pulled the car in the garage we notice a couple of grooves had been ground into the rotor but we had what appeared to be plenty of brake pad left.

Any suggestions on what this might be and how to fix it? Luckily the car is not my daily anymore but I'd still like to get it fixed pretty quick.

Thanks in advance for your help.
1. Brake pads
If you inspected the brake pads, did you take the caliper off? Since the S uses single piston sliding caliper, the INSIDE pad gets the wear. So if you just looked at the brake pad with the wheel off, you were looking at the outside one, which will not be as accurate.

2. Rock in between the disc cover and the disc

3. wheel bearing
Old 01-07-2006, 11:09 AM

1. I have the Work rims in my avatar so we didn't take the wheel off. The rim is so open it was easy just to look in and see the rotor marks and the outside pad which seems to be the general area where the marks are.

2. I'll check for a rock though. Never thought of that. Hopefully that's all it is by some chance.

3. Hope that's not the case. Not sure what that would cost to fix but doesn't sound cheap.

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have plenty of pad left then something VERY hard got stuck in there would be my guess.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 7 2006, 12:09 PM
1. I have the Work rims in my avatar so we didn't take the wheel off. The rim is so open it was easy just to look in and see the rotor marks and the outside pad which seems to be the general area where the marks are.

2. I'll check for a rock though. Never thought of that. Hopefully that's all it is by some chance.

3. Hope that's not the case. Not sure what that would cost to fix but doesn't sound cheap.

Thanks for your input.
I would definitely take the wheel and the caliper off (once the wheel is off it is just two bolts to get the caliper off). "Slight" grooves in rotors is not uncommon... it is actually from NOT using the brakes enough! It is not a big deal. That is if the brake pads are not worn down to the rivets.

A rock between the disc cover shield and disc is more from my 4x4 days. It is not impossible for a car to have it, but it is pretty rare.

A wheel bearing is probably in the $300 range if you had someone else do it. Get a 12 pack of beer and get your friends to do it a tech day. : ) But first things first, before getting paranoid, take the caliper off and inspect the inside brake pad.

Old 01-08-2006, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the input. Off with the wheel and caliper then. Luckily I have a friend that's a mechanic by day and will make house calls.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 8 2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the input. Off with the wheel and caliper then. Luckily I have a friend that's a mechanic by day and will make house calls.
Hope that it helps! I am trying to get out to Jacksonville (have an uncle that lives in Epping Forest) in the next few months. I'll bring some of my tools if you have other issues then...
Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Jan 9 2006, 01:16 AM
Hope that it helps! I am trying to get out to Jacksonville (have an uncle that lives in Epping Forest) in the next few months. I'll bring some of my tools if you have other issues then...
Epping is a very nice part of town. Thanks for the offer. Maybe we'll see you then?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A "friend" with a digital camera would be nice too. Rotor grooves are a relative thing. Post a Pic and many here can give advice.

Utah
Old 01-11-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by nvrquit4,Jan 7 2006, 11:28 AM
we had what appeared to be plenty of brake pad left.
I would still inspect it, appearing to be and actually being ok are two different things. That sounds exactly like worn brake pads.

Quick Reply: What would cause this?