S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What type of engine should I buy?

Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of engine should I buy?

Hey guys. About 3 weeks ago my engine seized up on me, and now that I have recovered from the inital shock of a stock Honda engine failing with only 35,000 on it I am ready to spend some money. I have already done the job of removing the engine from the car, and now I need to decide what step to take next. I have a little over 6000 dollars to spend on a motor.

The 2 current solutions to my problem that I know of right now are to:
A>Send the motor into laskey racing and have it "built" to stock specs, and later add a head gasket for a FI solution.(I am not ready to do FI yet because I have no money to fix it if it breaks)
B>Buy a crate motor from some company and have it shipped here. I like this idead but have no faith in used motors. I cannot afford to end up in the same situation next year.

I really like speed and horsepower. I had to sell my motorcycle to pay for this problem, so in return I would like to get something back that would be faster than stock. Currently I am leaning towards laskey racing, but I feel bad about not having the engine built right. (AKA using a headgasket to lowe compression instead of changing the piston size) In Missouri I can always get 91 octane gas, so I was thinking of getting a little higher cr to give me some more horsepower. I was also thinking of geting some sort of port and polish on the head to add hp, but I think you have to buy an AEM EMS to get any sort of gain there.

If I go with a crate/stock motor what company do you reccomend I use. Is there anyone out there that has more than just a "start-up" warranty?

What should I do?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of engine failure was it? Seems like it would not be too expensive to have the motor built back to stock specs if you already removed it from the car.

I'd rebuild the motor, and put the extra towards a new bike.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LS1 LS7 2jz, the question is how deep is your pocket and how long you can wait.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 PM

Sometimes it's worth the piece of mind to build up something you know rather than buying something you don't know.

That said, there was a post in the For Sale forums a week or two ago with an extremely low mileage engine, like 5000 miles on it or so. An idea, perhaps?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:37 PM

Thanks guys; keep those comments comming. My pockets aren't too deep all I have to spend currently is around $6000. I believe that having the motor rebuilt by laskey is going to be my best bet too. Even if I don't go FI until later next year the motor will have "built" parts in it to help stand the FI. And Jack....hell yeah on the bike. I'm going to try to buy a 600rr next year after get back on my feet.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Again, what failed? If you don't want to share basic information, why would anyone go out of their way to help you?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM

yeah, did you figure it out? Could the problem still be in the car that could kill yet another engine?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:05 AM

Why don't you have Kingmotorsports rebuild it for you?
Old 06-06-2007, 06:37 AM

ya find out whats wrong with the motor, if any parts are salvagable then you might be looking at less expenses than what you thought. i say you should figure out what you're working with first, hopefully you have another means of transportation and HOPEFULLY it's a lot worse than it seems.

i dont know if you can do this, but lets say a cylinder wall is lightly scored, have a machinist bore our your cylinders, sleeve it, grab some high compression pistions and BANG a more "powerful" motor. (some details may be left out )
Old 06-06-2007, 07:39 PM

I won't know what is wrong with the motor until I have it torn apart. I don't want to do it myself for fear of breaking/misplacing something important. From my research on this forum I believe that it was a #4 cylinder failure. I found in a serch of this forum a video that showed what it my car sounded like right before it died. Thanks again guys for your comments. All your comments are considered and does not fall of deaf ears.

On the side of higher compression pistons what do you think is the highest I can reliably go.

Quick Reply: What type of engine should I buy?