S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What is this transmission noise? (video)

Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this transmission noise? (video)

Hey guys! I realize that this is a very popular question on here, but I haven't had much luck finding my exact situation through searching, so I at least took a video so you guys aren't in the dark on this one.

I bought my ap1 a few months ago. The entire time I have had it the transmission has always had a tapping/clicking noise along with the more noticeable "spinning or rolling" sound. The sound is always there even when I push the clutch in. My s2k used to miss 2nd gear occasionally but it hasn't done that ever since I replaced the clutch master cylinder a few weeks ago because it had a leak that I was unaware of (I'm guessing that's why it used to miss).

I wasn't too sure how the audio would turn out but you can actually hear it pretty decently. I'm hoping one you experts can lead me in the right direction. Thank you for your time.

Dustin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-qG9Ye28f8
Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tapping sounds like a loose heat shield or somthing wedged between the heat shield and the bottom of the car.

The rolling sound seems like pilot/throwout bearing to me.

Try regreasing the throwout bearing through the hole where the clutch fork goes into the transmission tunnel. Also change out the transmission fluid and report back.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4forall
The tapping sounds like a loose heat shield or somthing wedged between the heat shield and the bottom of the car.

Try regreasing the throwout bearing through the hole where the clutch fork goes into the transmission tunnel. Also change out the transmission fluid and report back.
I,m going to order some mtf for the transmission. My friend told me that honda made a revised mtf specifcally for the s2000. Is this true, if so where can I find it? Also, should I change the fluid in my dif while I'm at it, and what does fluid does that take?
Old 09-27-2012, 01:40 PM

I use redline for my diff fluid
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Not true, just regular mtf from Honda. And if I were diagnosing it, I'd get under it while its running. If there's a bearing noise with the clutch depressed, most likely your throw out bearing, and if when the clutch is released (as mine is) its most likely a bearing on your input or countershaft. If its when its released, if you don't have the means to take your trans apart and press bearings on and off, I'd recommend just living with it and having enough money saved for another trans just in case. I'm rebuilding mine next week and ill try to make a thread with a before and after video.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:23 AM

Not true, just regular mtf from Honda. And if I were diagnosing it, I'd get under it while its running. If there's a bearing noise with the clutch depressed, most likely your throw out bearing, and if when the clutch is released (as mine is) its most likely a bearing on your input or countershaft. If its when its released, if you don't have the means to take your trans apart and press bearings on and off, I'd recommend just living with it and having enough money saved for another trans just in case. I'm rebuilding mine next week and ill try to make a thread with a before and after video.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its not the clutch/flywheel assy then I don't think its the transmission. The tranny wouldn't make noise if you were just at stand still. I think it may be crank related if not the clutch. Assuming everything else is as it should be, like loose bolts, header, exhaust, heat shields, etc.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 4forall

okay I changed the fluid with revised honda mtf. Same noise is still there. How hard is it to regrase the throwout bearing, do I have to take anything apart?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexS2200
The tranny wouldn't make noise if you were just at stand still.
The input and/or countershaft bearings would.

If it's not a loose part (e.g. heat shield), I'd say it sounds like a dying bearing. Since it happens when the clutch is engaged, that rules out the throwout bearing. That leaves the likely candidates as an input and/or countershaft bearing, which requires either a rebuild or a "new" transmission.

I agree with grkboy, get under it to diagnose the issue. Feel for something rattling (don't burn yourself) and use a stethoscope to hear if it's inside the trans (you can use a long screwdriver to your ear, pointy end on the transmission!).
Old 10-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by LeonV
Originally Posted by AlexS2200' timestamp='1348856741' post='22044906
The tranny wouldn't make noise if you were just at stand still.
The input and/or countershaft bearings would.

If it's not a loose part (e.g. heat shield), I'd say it sounds like a dying bearing. Since it happens when the clutch is engaged, that rules out the throwout bearing. That leaves the likely candidates as an input and/or countershaft bearing, which requires either a rebuild or a "new" transmission.

I agree with grkboy, get under it to diagnose the issue. Feel for something rattling (don't burn yourself) and use a stethoscope to hear if it's inside the trans (you can use a long screwdriver to your ear, pointy end on the transmission!).
Thank you so much! Yeah I was under the car today and I would push up on the tial of transmission where it meets the driveline and I could hear a sound of something that is loose coming from teh front. I feel like its bearing related because the sound changes slighty which might be dependent on which position the bearing is in or if it spins.

Also guys, how much time do you think I have until im screwed on the side of the road, or is it unlikely that the input or countershaft bearing will actually fail? (bought my car with 114K with the noise and it has 117K now)

And also is there anywhere I can get a rebuilt ap1 tranny with the upgraded ap2 parts like synchros and such. Because I prefer to keep my speedo accurate...but if not I might as well just buy an ap2 tranny if im gunna get a tranny. Thanks guys!

Dustin

Quick Reply: What is this transmission noise? (video)