S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What tools/equip. do you keep in your S2K?

Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What tools/equip. do you keep in your S2K?

I guess this could apply to several scenarios - (1) local driving (2) driving more than 50-75 miles from home, and (3) track days.

Right now I have carry very little, though what I have did help out when I blew my rear. I have a 2" wide tow strap, small LED light, jump cables, tire plug kit, Fix-A-Flat, and the OEM jack and lug wrench.

thanks,
Mark
Old 01-14-2007, 12:51 PM

To keep weight down, I have a towel, flashlite, cell phone, and cell charger
Old 01-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For local and even long distance driving on the street, I only carry the tools that came with the car and a cell phone.

For track days, I need to pull a trailer (or trailer the car with a truck) to fit all of the stuff I bring. Here's a partial list off the top of my head:
Full set of screwdrivers, full sets of 1/4" (6-12mm), 3/8 (9-17mm) and 1/2" (14-24mm) drive sockets and ratchets to drive them, 3/8" drive spark plug socket, various extensions for the socket sets, 3/8" and 1/2" breaker bars, 1/2" drive torque wrench (20-150 lb-ft), impact driver, full set of combination wrenches (6-24mm), 8 & 10" adjustable wrenches, medium and large vice grips, allen keys, brake bleeding kit, plus much more stuff that I'm forgetting.

Plus I carry the following spares:
Track wheels, spare rotors, brake pads, & brake fluid.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:09 PM

I probably carry more than most people...

But just ask any of the people from our local meets how convenient they always come in.

I have a few rags, spare oil usually, the stock jack, and a tow strap. Additionally, I have basic tools like a ratchet, pliers, zip ties, tire plugs, screwdrivers and common sized wrenches and sockets for the car. Maybe 5-10 pounds worth of extra stuff, well worth it when you need some tools. The benefits of having tools when you need them very much outweigh the downsides of 5 pounds. My car is daily driven, not usually very far, but I would rather just have the stuff in there and not have to remember.

I carry them in a set of clear bags, one in the spare tire, and one under the board at the bottom of the trunk. So there isnt any clutter in the trunk usually.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:15 PM

I carry nothing not even the spare. I've only taken the car 100 miles from home in one drive. If I hit the track with some buddies we will trailer a couple cars and then we have piles of tools. At that point I would try to remember my spare and tow hooks.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For local drives, I have a small tool kit I keep in the car plus the OEM stuff.

On long drives, I have a larger tool kit/ emergency kit from Costco.

On track days I carry a full set of tools (metric and standard, just in case), impact sockets, impact wrench, floor jack, jack stands, oil, funnel, vise grips, duct tape, rags, extensions, etc.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

Jumper cables, wheel lock key, OEM jack/tools and a cell phone. On long road trips I bring along my Scan tool.

NO fix a flat. It's a giant phucking mess when you put it in a tire. Since I'm the one who has to replace the tires, no thanks.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:09 PM

I carry a quart of oil, radio code, a detailing rag, adjustable wrench, and the OEM jack

o yes...and an LED from Target!
Old 01-14-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Small Fire extiguisher (in the trunk), OEM Stuff including the spare (which I guess I should remove since I have one full size front with tire here), a rag, small folding knife, cellphone and charger, Auto Club card.
This thread reminds me I need to replace the flashlight that my girlfriend swiped from the trunk. I'm also thinking I may need some jumper cables and to review that procedure, original OEM battery is getting tired.

EDIT: I don't really carry any tools, but if I did I would probably haul the Helms along as well.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:45 PM

fyi dont use fix a flat or any things like that.. those who work on cars or bust tires knoe whne u got to repair the flat.. u have all the glue and gunk inside it. also throws ur wheels off balance and more weight..

lol no tools all gone.. even spare.. just carry a cell phone

Quick Reply: What tools/equip. do you keep in your S2K?