S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What is that tap tap noise from my engine?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is that tap tap noise from my engine?

Not the first person to post about engine tapping noises I'm sure, but this one I just can't figure out.

Developed a loud metallic tap tap noise on a trip across France. Took it to a local garage and had the top end checked over, compression test, valve clearances, checked chain tensioner, checked valve timing. Tap tap noise is still there. Assuming it had spun a rod bearing I had it shipped home. Dropped the sump today and removed the bearing caps - bearings are all fine! Oil pump chain tensioner is fine too. No play in the little ends either. Crank end float doesn't seem to be unreasonable either.

What on earth could this be? I'm going to put it back together and do the valve clearances again, but otherwise I'm totally stumped? Any suggestions?

The noise is quite metallic, and very pronounced. It does sound just like I'd expect a spun rod bearing to sound. I remember driving through a tunnel and hearing the sound bouncing off of the concrete wall, very regular, and like someone making little hammer strikes on a bit of steel.

Robert
Old 07-22-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by insurgent
Not the first person to post about engine tapping noises I'm sure, but this one I just can't figure out.

Developed a loud metallic tap tap noise on a trip across France. Took it to a local garage and had the top end checked over, compression test, valve clearances, checked chain tensioner, checked valve timing. Tap tap noise is still there. Assuming it had spun a rod bearing I had it shipped home. Dropped the sump today and removed the bearing caps - bearings are all fine! Oil pump chain tensioner is fine too. No play in the little ends either. Crank end float doesn't seem to be unreasonable either.

What on earth could this be? I'm going to put it back together and do the valve clearances again, but otherwise I'm totally stumped? Any suggestions?

The noise is quite metallic, and very pronounced. It does sound just like I'd expect a spun rod bearing to sound. I remember driving through a tunnel and hearing the sound bouncing off of the concrete wall, very regular, and like someone making little hammer strikes on a bit of steel.

Robert

Maybe a motor mount, trans mount, exhaust mount. causing something to clank against the frame?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:53 AM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Belt pulleys?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

A video would help
Old 07-22-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Yep, gotta have a video mate.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 AM

I'll get a video now! Just done the valve clearances again, tightened a couple of them. Noise is still there. Strangely it is not there when cold, but gradually comes in as the engine warms up.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Piston slap?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:58 AM

Ok, managed to upload a video to youtube:

My link

Strangest thing of all is that it doesn't do it when cold, only after its warmed up.

Any ideas? I'm totally stumped...
Old 07-23-2015, 08:09 AM

It does sound like it is from the head area now. Could be piston slap, but the problem came along very suddenly, and piston slap would only develop over a period of time with wear, or if a block warped if overheated.

Thinking maybe a stuck lifter?

Is there a way to get the engine to run with the cam cover off? It would be easy to identify a fault with the engine ticking over and access to the valvetrain all in motion.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:06 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

That's def not piston slap.

Quick Reply: What is that tap tap noise from my engine?