S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What size piping are the cat-back exhaust for the S?

Old 12-13-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to find out what the size is of the exhausts on certain catback systems. does anyone know?
Like the HKS from the:
the piping from that cat to the split point and then what size piping is run to each muffler from where it splits?
any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Also, I am looking for some exhaust flanges, if anyone knows where I can buy any. I am planning on getting one of my buddies at the exhaust shop to make me a exhaust. I need some exhaust flanges, so I can bolt my stock exhaust back (I don't want my stock exhaust cut) up if I need to.

After I get my exhaust made, I am going to dyno both that exhaust and a $800 catback to compare performance, just to see if it's really worth spending that much money for a cat-back exhaust.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen systems ranging from 50mm to 65mm. Good exhaust engineering takes into consideration what materials you are using. Too big a pipe and you lose velocity. Too good a heat sink and you lose velocity. Stainless retains heat better than aluminum. So having a buddy make a system without understanding of the various design elements may be counter-productive.

As for dynoing, nearly every post on the S2000 I have seen says that you put on a catback for weight reduction, as the header AND catback only produce a few HP. The stock system was well designed, but is heavy.

Get it wrong and you could lose low to mid range power and have a peaky system, OK for racing, not so OK for street use. The best Honda tuners (Spoon, Amuse, Mugen, etc.) have the equipment and know-how and willingness to try various iterations, so it is doubtful that a one-off system could top theirs. They also use titanium, stainless steel or aluminized steel for heat retention and longevity, and Titanium piping and/or mufflers to achieve low weight.

But if you do a same conditions baseline/modded dyno and show us a bag of power, the S2000 world will beat a path to your door.

Good Luck!
Old 12-13-2003, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some figures in the 'S2000 Concept' document in the Mugen Technical section on King Motorsport's site. Mugens original exhaust is IIRC, 60.5mm from the cat, and 45mm for the two sections to the mufflers. I'm pretty sure the Spoon single is also 60.5mm - this seems to be as large as needed for N/A cars.

-Brian.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Sponsor
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Amuse uses 63.5 mm (2.5 in) on the R1 and 70 mm (3 in) on the R1000...

Amuse is most likely the best out of Japan... Hytech for the US...
Old 12-15-2003, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info guys. i appreciate it. my friend is making me a test pipe as well, the pipe size for the exhaust will consist of 63mm piping split into 45mm running to each muffler. i'll let everyone know the outcome so you can compare this exhaust to a name brand catback exhaust.
i'll be sure to post the dyno results, from stock, to exhaust, then the test pipe and exhaust.