S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What is the proper oil fill level?

Old 08-13-2002, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the proper oil fill level?

Had the dealship change my oil, and it looked much too high. Here's a crude schematic of the dipstick:

- Notch above the "H" -> This is where the oil level was after dealer change

H
x I thought it should be here, just below the "H"
x
x
x
x
L

-

I went to track event at Sebring, and I took one corner a bit too hard. My engine bogged and I had white smoke pouring out the exhaust. But then the car just took off again. My instructor immediatly asked if my oil was too high. Something about oil from the crankcase sloshing into the cylinders (probably not exactly what he said, but something to that effect)???? Does that make sense? Car runs fine, but curious if too much oil can do damage.

Thanks!
jared
Old 08-13-2002, 06:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are right, the X under the H is where the oil level should be.

The engine has a full baffle pan between the crank and the oil sump, but the dealer may have had it so full that some oil was above the baffle. I'm not sure what path it would have taken to be burned (the usual culprit is through the PVC).

Excessive oil can wind up being 'whipped' introducing air into the lubrication system which can lead to damage. Too much oil is not a good condition.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:58 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. After about 1500 miles and the track day it's still in the middle of the H, but much better than before. I'll be sure to check when I pick up the car next time.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:03 AM

Did you supply the oil to the dealer for your last oil change. I supply 6 qts and tell them to use only 5.5 qts. I have noticed, however, that the oil level is slightly higher than the H mark...they probably still put in 6 qts.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:12 AM

Nope. Just dropped it off and picked it up. One of the mechanics there drives an S2000, and I asked for him. But he probably didn't do the work. Wish I'd have asked sooner, I could have drained some out.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John MI blk/blk '01
[B]Did you supply the oil to the dealer for your last oil change.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]

I think 5.5 qt is more than it takes.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena

Including the oil in the filter I find 5.5 is exactly the amount I need.
You must be doing a better job of getting all the old oil out. Do you change your oil cold, or hot? How long do you let it drip? Do you keep the car level while you drain it? Since I usually change my oil hot, with the front jacked up, I guess I may still have .5 qt left in the engine after draining it.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:38 AM

Usually cold but I do raise the left side slightly to drain out a little extra dirty oil and let it drip until it stops. Got in the habit with my wife's Maxima that does not have the drain at exactly the lowest point and found it empties a bit more oil on the Honda as well.
Old 08-14-2002, 02:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to confirm what cdelena said - my car takes 5.5 quarts to fill it (with oil fliter change) with it sitting level.

jared - the puffs of white smoke have been observed coming out of our exhaust, particularly after hard right turns. I agree that the extra-high oil level may have contributed to this. Even so it happens in my car from time to time with correctly filled oil levels. However, I've never experienced bogging.

The main lesson here is to monitor your oil level after every session on the track.

Quick Reply: What is the proper oil fill level?