S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What Problem Do You Want First?!?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What Problem Do You Want First?!?

Well I just bought the s2000 used for a good deal so problems where going to be expected so here it goes.

1. Alpine radio sounds good untell I turn the car on then the it sounds like @$$.

2. If I press both dome lights to turn them on they will not turn on unless I repeatedly move the middle switch that changed from (On/Door Open/Off) back and forwards untell it turns on.

3. I get wistles when I hit the gas alot of the time. Buddy says its common and is the butterflys?

4. When I turn the car on I hear a high pitched whine and my buddy said it was the smog pump.

5. Should the gears shift smooth when the clutch is pulled all the way in? When I shift I can feel it notch in to each gear.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 dont know, alternator?

#2 dont know. i'm not going to doubt that you know how to use the middle switch

#3 dont know.. if you have an intake and it whistles on light throttle that is normal, but if you are stock, dont know

#4 he is right

#5 our 2nd gear is notoriously notchy. you can try the new honda mtf version 2 in your transmission or it could be the clutch isnt letting go all the way and you need to bleed your clutch.

i hope some of this helped lol
Old 03-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_JOE,Mar 20 2008, 09:26 PM
Well I just bought the s2000 used for a good deal so problems where going to be expected so here it goes.

1. Alpine radio sounds good untell I turn the car on then the it sounds like @$$.

2. If I press both dome lights to turn them on they will not turn on unless I repeatedly move the middle switch that changed from (On/Door Open/Off) back and forwards untell it turns on.

3. I get wistles when I hit the gas alot of the time. Buddy says its common and is the butterflys?

4. When I turn the car on I hear a high pitched whine and my buddy said it was the smog pump.

5. Should the gears shift smooth when the clutch is pulled all the way in? When I shift I can feel it notch in to each gear.
First two IONO!

---That's your intake, even the stock whistles

---Air pump in your front bumper

---All S2k trannys are notchy, when your car warms up it gets a bit less notcher
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 PM

ty

So down to 2 problems lol.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:43 AM

doesn't hurt to clean out the intake manifold with intake manifold cleaner

change tranny fluid and it will make notchiness less noticable.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 AM

#1 Sounds like a grounding problem. Pull the radio out (very easy to do) and check the wiring harness in the back. I bet the previous owner hacked something up and you either have exposed wires or the harness isn't connected properly.

#5 Could just be old transmission fluid. Could be a combination of needing to bleed your clutch, adjust your clutch, and change your transmission fluid. All these things are easy to do and are in the FAQ. I'd try changing the transmission fluid first (as was already suggested) and see what that does for you.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Mar 21 2008, 06:02 AM
#1 Sounds like a grounding problem. Pull the radio out (very easy to do) and check the wiring harness in the back. I bet the previous owner hacked something up and you either have exposed wires or the harness isn't connected properly.

#5 Could just be old transmission fluid. Could be a combination of needing to bleed your clutch, adjust your clutch, and change your transmission fluid. All these things are easy to do and are in the FAQ. I'd try changing the transmission fluid first (as was already suggested) and see what that does for you.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

My guesses:
1) Aftermarket amplifier grounding. Amp most likely is in the trunk. Have someone that knows what they are doing reground it.
2) The hardtop is an aftermarket or dealer installed option. Loose connector. There is a 4 wire connector (grey wires) Located below the left side of the rear trim behind the driver. Reseat connector.
3) Whistle is most likely an aftermarket intake. While stock whistles a little the aftermarket (i.e. AEM) Whistles a lot! Awesome sound when you know what it is.
4) Turning the car on is a relative term. Do you mean "Lock", Ignition I, or Ignition II? Could be a few things......agreed most liely "smog pump" related. (aka Secondary Air Injection System)
5) Should be smooth. Condition you describe is either the clutch is out of adjustment ornot bled properly.

Utah