S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What performance spark plugs and wires should i use???

Old 02-13-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The manufacturers will tell you the way to pick a plug is to keep them hot to burn off deposits but not so hot that it causes detonation. Colder is usually only recommended for very hard running where retained plug heat or chamber temps may make detonation a possibility. I have not seen any discussion regarding climate or engine temperature in choosing a plug heat range.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And that's exactly why SplitFire, Bosch Platinum +2/+4, or any plug with multiple ground electrodes, are a complete waste of money. The spark voltage always picks the path of least resistance, so it will only pick ONE of the ground electrodes, not all of them.

The way I see it, by jumping to only one of the several electrodes, you're giving the unused electrodes the opportunity to foul up, and create even higher resistance.

BTW, does anybody line up their spark plugs, as in install the plugs in such a fashion that the ground electrode is facing down, into the combustion chamber? I know all the racers do it, but what about on street cars? Does it make a difference?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by alexf20c

And that's exactly why SplitFire, Bosch Platinum +2/+4, or any plug with multiple ground electrodes, are a complete waste of money. The spark voltage always picks the path of least resistance, so it will only pick ONE of the ground electrodes, not all of them.

The way I see it, by jumping to only one of the several electrodes, you're giving the unused electrodes the opportunity to foul up, and create even higher resistance.
BTW, does anybody line up their spark plugs, as in install the plugs in such a fashion that the ground electrode is facing down, into the combustion chamber? I know all the racers do it, but what about on street cars? Does it make a difference?
I've always suspected that was what was happenning with those multi-electrode type plugs. A cute marketing strategy, though.
"Indexing" plugs is what it's referred as. With a multi-valved head and such an efficient combustion chamber such as ours, I'm not so sure that indexing is really of any advantage. Racers win by 100ths of a second. I doubt we'd feel this sort of difference on the street.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by cdelena
I have not seen any discussion regarding climate or engine temperature in choosing a plug heat range.
Do you see any reason why climate would not lead to a warmer engine, which would lead to a higher spark plug temperature? The spark plugs are ultimately cooled by the head, then the coolant, then the radiator. If you read NGK's tech artical about heat ranges, it sounds to me that you should use the coldest spark plug that will not foul out. I have been running my IK24s for a long time without any fouling.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW, spark plugs are heated by combustion, not spark. Any performance mod that increases combustion temps (FI, I/H/E, fuel tuning, etc.) will increase spark plug temps. Those higher spark plug temps could cause detonation if they aren't controlled by a colder spark plug.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:36 PM

I use
Old 02-13-2004, 01:55 PM

Even if you're comparing Houston in the summer (128
Old 02-13-2004, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
Old 02-13-2004, 07:09 PM

Dude, my S2000 came with spark plug wires??? You guys don't have them? I am going to have to get a new set soon because I am coming up on my 30K servicing...

BTW, I am running IK27's.

Chris

Quick Reply: What performance spark plugs and wires should i use???