S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What is optimal engine oil temperature?

Old 03-21-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is optimal engine oil temperature?

what is optimal engine oil temperature.

I edited title to include what max temps you road course guys see at the track.
I know there's a lot of you here so your input is appreciated.

It is my understanding that optimal engine oil temperature is 180 - 200 Farenheit.

I'm asking because i been shopping around for oil coolers. Came across one that says that the thermostat turns the fan on (Yes, looking for a fan also). at 160F.

So i was wondering if the fan in this particular setup is coming on way too early.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you instect using thermo switch to turn on/off fan, use a controller with temp sensor to turn on/off fan for oil cooler so you can adjust on the fly.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind that oil temps differ depending on where you are taking the reading from.

Oil temps in areas such as the main bearings, piston rings and cam lobes (especially exhaust side) will get much hotter than the oil temps in the pan.

This situation is exacerbated by forced induction and raised rev. limits.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by LUVNMBRS,Mar 22 2006, 12:28 AM
Keep in mind that oil temps differ depending on where you are taking the reading from.

Oil temps in areas such as the main bearings, piston rings and cam lobes (especially exhaust side) will get much hotter than the oil temps in the pan.

yes i'm aware of that thanks.

I will be basically taking reading with a oil temp sensor mounted on a remote filter mount. The sensor will be on the OUT side side (side that oil comes out of block)
Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 AM

bump for input
Old 03-22-2006, 06:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LUVNMBRS,Mar 21 2006, 10:28 PM

in other words, the optimal oil temp is the temp at which the car is operating at. so 180-200.

are you looking for some other oil temp that you're hoping will do what? make the car perform differently?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 AM

Let me rephrase my questions to somethign simpler for my own sake

For those tracking the car with stock liquied cooler what oil temps do you see?

And for those tracking the car that have modified to an external oil cooler what temps do you see now?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Venomous S asked why the thermostat turns the fan on the oil cooler at 160F when operating temps should be 180-200F.

Perhaps it's because oil temps at the cooler of 160F = higher temps within the engine? Since the oil cooler was designed for racing, they may have set the fan to turn on at 160F knowing that the oil inside the engine would be much hotter cuz' the engine is being pushed hard??
Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by LUVNMBRS,Mar 22 2006, 12:16 PM
Venomous S asked why the thermostat turns the fan on the oil cooler at 160F when operating temps should be 180-200F.

Perhaps it's because oil temps at the cooler of 160F = higher temps within the engine? Since the oil cooler was designed for racing, they may have set the fan to turn on at 160F knowing that the oil inside the engine would be much hotter cuz' the engine is being pushed hard??
Very valid point.

Although when I had setup my previous oil cooler, the temps on my gauge still read above 200. So internal temps must've been a heck of a lot higher. But perhaps my setup wasn't efficient- maybe not enough airflow was going through it.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a reference, the Canton Mecca oil thermostat doesn't open to allow flow to the oil cooler until 215 degrees F. I've heard that the optimum oil temp for synthetics is somewhere around 220 to 230. Don't know if there is any truth to that.

Quick Reply: What is optimal engine oil temperature?