S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What kind of jack stands are you using?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Jul 19 2010, 02:13 AM
This floor jack will do the trick (AC DK13DLQ):

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...Hydraulic1.htm

It hits both the front and rear jack points with no helpers, has a foot pedal along with the handle in case you are short of room to use the handle, and it raises to almost 29". Quality is the best in the business.

These jack stands are exceptional too:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...ound%20capacity
$600 dollar jack, are you flippin kidding me?

Don't get me wrong it beautiful, but im not going to clay bar and wax a jack....
Old 07-19-2010, 11:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, it's all relative I guess. I lost $400 at a blackjack table the other day, so you could probably say that I don't mind spending $549 on a floor jack that will last me the rest of my life. I did shop around for the last couple of years though. I couldn't force myself to buy junk though.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Jul 19 2010, 11:39 AM
Well, it's all relative I guess. I lost $400 at a blackjack table the other day, so you could probably say that I don't mind spending $549 on a floor jack that will last me the rest of my life. I did shop around for the last couple of years though. I couldn't force myself to buy junk though.
I wasted alot of money in my day, that doesn't mean I should waste more...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by essi1553,Jul 19 2010, 03:37 PM
I wasted alot of money in my day, that doesn't mean I should waste more...
Spending $549 on a quality tool that will outlive you is hardly wasting money. Buying ten $100 jacks that last 3-4 years each over your lifetime would be wasting money.

With that said: I'm using a Hein-Werner O'Boy that is probably older than many members on this board. I bought it very used 15-20 years ago...I'd like to have the AC, but I can't justify buying one when the jack I have keeps on keeping on.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In light of the historical quality of Chinese products (pet food with melamine that kills pets, drywall that destroys wiring, children's toys with lead paint, the list is endless) I personally would pay some attention to the quality of the stands that keep the weight of the car off of my head and chest. But it's your head and chest so do what you want.

And on the subject of jacks and stands, some may find this site interesting:

http://pacedweb.com/protechproducts/
Old 07-19-2010, 06:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks guys, looks like Ill be picking up some craftsman 2 ton jackstands. The 4 tons jack stands I currently have are too tall. Thanks everyone for their input!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Carbon Blue,Jul 19 2010, 07:25 PM
thanks guys, looks like Ill be picking up some craftsman 2 ton jackstands. The 4 tons jack stands I currently have are too tall. Thanks everyone for their input!
never and i do mean NEVER buy a craftsman floor jack. they leak after a years of use or no use. its worth less. mines leaking and theres no rebuilds on them.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedY2KS2k,Jul 19 2010, 03:35 PM
Spending $549 on a quality tool that will outlive you is hardly wasting money. Buying ten $100 jacks that last 3-4 years each over your lifetime would be wasting money.

With that said: I'm using a Hein-Werner O'Boy that is probably older than many members on this board. I bought it very used 15-20 years ago...I'd like to have the AC, but I can't justify buying one when the jack I have keeps on keeping on.
In that case: Why hold back?

I've had jacks over 10 years, and the only reason I dont have a decent one anymore is because it was too much to lug around.

This will do just fine: HERE . To think you could buy and sell these things 3 times over and it would have been the same cost as one of those similar performing much more expensive jacks. i know not to skip in some areas, but I also know there are only so many ways to make a useful hammer. Granted it may last longer but is being tied to that item for an extra 10 years worth the headache of that huge item? I personally dont think so, maybe a set of lifetime wrenches, or air tools, but a jack for 3 times the price of a normal one, I don't think so.

I have yet to have a jack fail on me, other than the oem (honda provided) one a week ago. Granted im only 27 but ive worked in shops where jacks we tossed around and used easily 10+ times a day. Never has it ever come up that one has failed, and if it has we had definitely got our money's worth out of it. Worked there for over 7 years, and my dad is still using one at least 15 years old that he used there.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by essi1553,Jul 20 2010, 01:16 AM
In that case: Why hold back?

I've had jacks over 10 years, and the only reason I dont have a decent one anymore is because it was too much to lug around.

This will do just fine: HERE . To think you could buy and sell these things 3 times over and it would have been the same cost as one of those similar performing much more expensive jacks. i know not to skip in some areas, but I also know there are only so many ways to make a useful hammer. Granted it may last longer but is being tied to that item for an extra 10 years worth the headache of that huge item? I personally dont think so, maybe a set of lifetime wrenches, or air tools, but a jack for 3 times the price of a normal one, I don't think so.

I have yet to have a jack fail on me, other than the oem (honda provided) one a week ago. Granted im only 27 but ive worked in shops where jacks we tossed around and used easily 10+ times a day. Never has it ever come up that one has failed, and if it has we had definitely got our money's worth out of it. Worked there for over 7 years, and my dad is still using one at least 15 years old that he used there.
I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else by suggesting that they should buy an AC hydraulic jack, or any other jack for that matter. I was just trying to give the OP an option to his problem (jack wouldn't raise high enough to reach the stands). The AC jack will raise to 29". It's that simple. Now whether the OP can budget for the jack is probably another story.

I know you're still young and haven't even reached your prime yet. But I predict as you grow older, wiser and more solvent you will gain a similar philosophy as mine. I just won't buy something that I think is junk anymore. There was a time when I would though. So check back with me in thirty years and tell me how my prediction went.
The following users liked this post:
BlueTeg (12-16-2017)
Old 07-20-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC,Jul 20 2010, 07:55 AM
I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else by suggesting that they should buy an AC hydraulic jack, or any other jack for that matter. I was just trying to give the OP an option to his problem (jack wouldn't raise high enough to reach the stands). The AC jack will raise to 29". It's that simple. Now whether the OP can budget for the jack is probably another story.

I know you're still young and haven't even reached your prime yet. But I predict as you grow older, wiser and more solvent you will gain a similar philosophy as mine. I just won't buy something that I think is junk anymore. There was a time when I would though. So check back with me in thirty years and tell me how my prediction went.
No offense taken, I hope you don't think I am fighting with you I just disagree. I'm sorry I also do not mean to offend you, I guess I just like playing devils advocate.

You maybe be right, but in my much fewer years I have noticed that my problem is money, and while that may not be an issue to you, I am forced with budgeting in order to get everything I need, and going over the top for a tool that is probably worth it but very pricey seems like a risk.

I'd never buy a daewoo over a honda but, im not picky about what screwdrivers I use. I guess it's just that mostly everything I have ever bought was used, and I got my money's worth out of it. Not to mention I probably have been burned by some overpriced item in my day, that I may have spent top dollar for.

I already have "your" philosophy, buy and do things right the first time. But after moving over at least 9 times in my life I know to became a minimalist, and I know im much more like to get my money back and use out of a cheap jack. Things get stolen all the time, I am clumsy sometimes.

My predication, hmmm, how about when I can comfortably afford that type of jack instead ill be making enough money never having to get underneath the car for any such reason, and all of my upkeep with be cleaning and polishing of the car.

Seriously F my entire post, and lets get a thread going about quality jacks and how long they have served you (the people of s2ki). I'd like to see the results....

Quick Reply: What kind of jack stands are you using?