S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What the heck does that sensor on the air box do?

Old 04-16-2001, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a sensor that is attatched to the stock airbox with just a screw. I took it off and stuck it on the RM Racing intake...and now it makes a sucking or blowing noise intermittently.

I hope didn't reverse the two air hoses that go to the sensor.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:34 PM

Dude, I emailed you a link of when I had this problem. It should have some info.

Wesmaster
Old 04-16-2001, 01:33 PM

Unicron,when putting the Injen on i also grab that sensor to the new intake...but i never had such problem...
HOpe it
Old 04-16-2001, 09:52 PM

I had the same problem after the dealer had the tranny TSB done. Apparently they had to lift the engine slightly and had to disconnect the hoses attached to the sensor. When I picked the car up, the check engine light was on.I opened the hood and heard the same weezing sound coming from the sensor. The tech found his mistake, he had connected the hoses backwards.Its actually a vaccuum valve. hope this helps
Old 04-17-2001, 07:46 AM

sushibob,

Hmmmm...I'll try reversing the hoses to the sensor.

Don't worry...I'm doing this at my own risk...
Old 04-17-2001, 12:47 PM

Timmeh,

I'll probably be in Sugarland after work so we can meet up and I'll take a look at it.

Peace.

-Shawn
Old 04-17-2001, 06:41 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The valve you are refering to is part of the Pulsed Secondary Induction System. And yes it sounds as if you did reverse the hoses. The is a one way spring operated cone check in-line. If you reverse the valve the seat will open (at the wrong time) and a hissing could possibly result. Adverse effect on the engine is minimal. Secondary air will not be injected to the exhaust port with the engine cold. With no secondary combustion which is why the system is in place. This will reduce your mileage and increase your exhaust emissions until the engine has come to temperature.
This system is the heart of the reason our cars are so dang clean emissions wise.
Old 04-18-2001, 08:48 AM

Utah S2K,

The engine light came on again after hitting the gym.

I got pissed off...so right there in the parking lot I unplugged the battery, reversed the hoses to that sensor/valve and did not notice the hissing noise after that.

The engine light did not come on this morning...I'll see what happens after my drive to lunch!

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2001, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Unicron

Utah S2K,

The engine light came on again after hitting the gym.

I got pissed off...so right there in the parking lot I unplugged the battery, reversed the hoses to that sensor/valve and did not notice the hissing noise after that.

The engine light did not come on this morning...I'll see what happens after my drive to lunch!

Thanks!
Dude I went throught the exact same thing. My problem started when I didn't put the valve in. Once I had the valve in, I had already messed with everything and I didn't know if I had the hoses in right. I found out from Honda tech that the check engine light only comes on after 3 "trips" with it set up wrong.

Did the pictures I provided not confirm which hose goes where!?

Wesmaster
Old 04-18-2001, 01:42 PM

[QUOTE]
I found out from Honda tech that the check engine light only comes on after 3 "trips" with it set up wrong.

Quick Reply: What the heck does that sensor on the air box do?