S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER 85K MILES

Old 12-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that's ridiculous for the clutch. People here want 800 for that job.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there anyone, or does anyone know of, anyone in the D.C./Maryland/ Virginia area that would be interested in replacing my cat converter (the O2 sensor broke off as well so I need a new one)

and/or

would anyone be interested in checking out the wear and tear on my car overall for anything that might need work in the near future?

Obviously I would be willing to pay a fair price and I could buy the parts and bring them to you.

Side note about the Cat converter - ( the reason that it needs to be replaced is that it is loose, the shaking caused the O2 sensor to break)
Old 12-04-2013, 01:29 AM

There is a forum within S2ki dedicated to your area. Post in there and start going to meets. I'm sure there is someone in your community that is an enthusiast/shade tree. I bought my cat used for 80$. New gaskets, you'll need one for each end, will be 20-40$. Can't remember exactly how much for the gaskets.

Probably be about an hour labor charge if you take it somewhere. I'd buy the parts myself and take it to a muffler shop, they usually run a bit cheaper.

But ultimately, if your really concerned about costs associated with owning an older vehicle then you need to take the initiative to buy tools and start wrenching. Any car with a decent amount of miles will eventually require maintenance, just a fact of life. All the knowledge you need is right here in this forum.
Personally I'd rather own a "paid for ride" and take the gamble that it'll stay together than own a new car that I know I have to fork out 3-700$ a month for.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

if you were closer to me id do it for you. on the s2ki everything is covered. heres a quick list.

do if you havent done yet.

Valve adjustment
change clutch and brake fluid
Rear Axle Nut TSB
check your spark plugs as they might be up for a change if they are original. ( would be good to do along with valve adjustment. replace valve cover gasket and spark plug seals while youre at it )
check your subframe bolts front and rear and make sure they are not loose

coolant service life is up to 100k from what i remember. i would change it soon though. i have the same mileage as you and i will be performing most of whats on this list. i replace my brake and clutch fluid every oil change. its not hard at all. if you have a syringe it will make your life easier and this will ensure that your master cylinder will not leak.

just keep up with your regular maintenance.

if you are ever up in NJ give me a PM id be glad to look at your car for you. if you can make it out to Billman one day you should make that trip.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't be facing too many issues prior to 150k miles to be honest. Every car is different, especially as it depends on how its driven and maintained. I have had the car from 53500 miles - 98000 miles (just hit 98k a few weeks ago) and have not had to do anything other than basic maintenance.

To answer your question - check the owners manual, but I believe you are looking at a valve adjustment (manual says 150k but it is suggested you get it done much sooner rather than later) and normal fluid changes including oil, diff and trans. There are plenty of things you will want to check but I suggest starting with those items and then reading through:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/753...r-useful-info/

and

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/548...d-maintenance/

For my S, in 4 years I have done:
regular oil changes (5k-8k intervals, do myself)
regular transmission fluid changes (10k intervals, or yearly, do myself)
regular differential fluid changes (10k intervals, or yearly, do myself)
Valve Adjustment (93k, looked excellent, had local guru SlowS2k do the VA)
Changed out the brake fluid (every 50k miles from here on out will do)
Changed out the clutch fluid (every 50k miles from here on out will do)
Changed out front brake pads (did myself)
Changed out drivers side striker on soft top (Honda did under extended warranty)
Fixed heater valve (it was stuck and was only blowing hot air...simple 10 second fix under the hood)

Everything else has been mods that I did myself (as you can read in my sig). No major work done or any issues.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks everyone,

All your insight was very helpful. As much as I would like to work on the car myself I do not have the time, tools, or knowledge. I go to school all day every Saturday and Sunday is full of homework and Errands, then it is back to my crazy busy job Monday through Friday.

I posted on the Mid-Atlantic Region section asking if anyone knew of an honest shop or if anyone would like to make a few extra dollars to do the work themselves. If there is a better place for this kind of post kindly let me know.

thanks again for the knowledge and happy driving
Old 12-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$1000 to change a catalytic converter?! Damn... I should open a shop where you live...