S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What Do You Use To Fill Your Differential and Tranny

Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts
Default What Do You Use To Fill Your Differential and Tranny

Just wondering what most of you guys use to fill your differentials and tranny when swapping in new fluid. I've been using these lower marine pumps that attach to the tops of the fluid bottles, but I find the pumps to be really low quality, and the suction tube doesn't come close to the bottom of the fluid containers so there is always fluid left in the bottle. If you have a good pump to use for the transfer of fluids into the tranny and diff please post them up. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a pump that I got from autozone or Walmart. It's white and it comes with different lengths of hard/soft tubing.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I use the same type of pump but dump the fluid into a larger container first, such as a family sized almond or mixed nuts jar. Sometimes messy but it works for 7 bucks
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attach...8&d=1293151590

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...cU3-iwyJoDp_fg

Autozone may still have the older versions as above, but their new one sucks. Leaks everywhere!
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by wisdom
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/attach...8&d=1293151590

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...cU3-iwyJoDp_fg

Autozone may still have the older versions as above, but their new one sucks. Leaks everywhere!
Yeah you are correct on that, I used to buy similar types of pumps when they were made in Mexico and they worked decent enough, but the newer ones are all made in China and they leak and cause a damn mess.

I'm going to try and put Honda bond at the hose attachment point with a larger zip tie, maybe that will reduce the potential for leaks.

Thanks for the replies from everyone
Old 11-10-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I find the pumps messy and not very effective.

I just use a long tube (you can buy clear tubing at the hardware store) with an inside diameter big enough to stick a funnel into. I clip the tube to something under the hood put the end into the tran and just pour. For the diff I clip it to the gas cap cover.

It is fast and easy... and if you live in a cold clime you just throw the unopened containers into a sink of hot water before you start so it pours faster.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cdelena
I find the pumps messy and not very effective.

I just use a long tube (you can buy clear tubing at the hardware store) with an inside diameter big enough to stick a funnel into. I clip the tube to something under the hood put the end into the tran and just pour. For the diff I clip it to the gas cap cover.

It is fast and easy... and if you live in a cold clime you just throw the unopened containers into a sink of hot water before you start so it pours faster.
Thanks I was also thinking of that method if I can locate some appropriately sized tubing, I wasn't sure if there was enough slope to get to the diff fill hole and have gravity push the fluid into the diff, but it sounds like you have verified that it can work. I'd rather do this then pump a hundred times , lol. Thanks for the added info. Now to measure the length of tubing I will need

Yeah I use LE1605 which is an SAE110 diff fluid, so it helps to have it warmed up like you mentioned, I will definitely do that. The Honda MTF2 will be at room temperature which should be good enough.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Okay I bought 2 - 8 foot pieces of clear tubing, I trimmed them to size, six fee might have been enough but I bought extra just to be safe. I hooked them up to a funnel and did all of the filling from above. I have to say it is easier than pumping. The LE1605 is slow as molasses even after sitting in a hot pot of water, lol. The tranny fluid drains much quicker. I have one hose/funnel dedicated to the diff fluid and one to the tranny fluid for future use. Thanks for the tip Cdelena
Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i used to use a pump i bought from harbor freight, but since now i use amsoil everything they have a pump made for their bottles and works really well. much cleaner and easier job.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use about 4 feet of long clear tubing. I slide underneath the car and hold the tube in the fill plug while my wife pours the fluid from above.

-Mike

Quick Reply: What Do You Use To Fill Your Differential and Tranny