S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What do you guys think is the problem here

Old 08-08-2004, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think is the problem here

Okay guys, here's the deal.
I bought My00 about 7 months ago with 36k miles it now has 45k. The only thing dealer told me was that it was hit in the drivers side door, minor parking ding, and I was like ok not a biggie.
I found out that the car has actually been wacked pretty bad on the whole drivers side, and fenders(front and back) and door have been replaced
So two days ago I took turn little faster and felt something was wrong. There was a trafiic light about 100 yards from the turn. So it turned green and as soon as I started moving I was like WTF. The right rear started squeaking like hell and up until 4k rpm you could hear squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, and after 4k RPM still in first gear all I could hear was a constant loud squeak. Shifted to second and from then on there was just squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, all the way through the sixth gear. By the time I got home it got so bad that i had my music turned all the way up and I could still hear the stupid squeaking. I felt like pushing the car of a Golden Gate bridge!
Taking it to service tommorow, and I know they're going to give me whole bunch of

What do you guys think this could be??? Just so I can argue back w/ what they say, because I know most of the techs are not familiar with AP1's(I know few of them, don't know scrap about our cars)

Thanks, best regards

Z
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

In general, bent suspension/wheel hub/brake components/half shaft components.
With damage like this, ordinary diagnosis may be tough to do. If it weren't for the history, I'd say look at the brake pad thickness indicator that makes a squeal when the pads get too thin or perhaps the ABS components rubbing the wrong way (sensor and sensor wheel) or the wheel hub assembly/axle/wheel bearing. Also, run your hand around the whole outer edges of the tire to see if anything is rubbing.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kiza,Aug 8 2004, 10:12 PM
Okay guys, here's the deal.
I bought My00 about 7 months ago with 36k miles it now has 45k. The only thing dealer told me was that it was hit in the drivers side door, minor parking ding, and I was like ok not a biggie.
I found out that the car has actually been wacked pretty bad on the whole drivers side, and fenders(front and back) and door have been replaced
So two days ago I took turn little faster and felt something was wrong. There was a trafiic light about 100 yards from the turn. So it turned green and as soon as I started moving I was like WTF. The right rear started squeaking like hell and up until 4k rpm you could hear squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, and after 4k RPM still in first gear all I could hear was a constant loud squeak. Shifted to second and from then on there was just squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak squeak, all the way through the sixth gear. By the time I got home it got so bad that i had my music turned all the way up and I could still hear the stupid squeaking. I felt like pushing the car of a Golden Gate bridge!
Taking it to service tommorow, and I know they're going to give me whole bunch of

What do you guys think this could be??? Just so I can argue back w/ what they say, because I know most of the techs are not familiar with AP1's(I know few of them, don't know scrap about our cars)

Thanks, best regards

Z
is this a constant noise that doesn't go away( like an endless ring), or is it on/off/on/off/on/off??
Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 AM

Well before 4k in first gear it's on and off, and after 4k(still in first) it's constant, when i shift to second-sixth it becomes on and off again.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by kiza,Aug 9 2004, 12:15 PM
Well before 4k in first gear it's on and off, and after 4k(still in first) it's constant, when i shift to second-sixth it becomes on and off again.
This may be off topic and may or may not have anything to do with your situation but you should really never skip shift, especially from 2nd to 6th gear. You're gonna blow you syncros one day. Maybe they are blown already if you do this a lot and that's what's making the noise. Can't say for sure.
Is it rpm related or road speed related?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 9 2004, 10:46 AM
This may be off topic and may or may not have anything to do with your situation but you should really never skip shift, especially from 2nd to 6th gear. You're gonna blow you syncros one day. Maybe they are blown already if you do this a lot and that's what's making the noise. Can't say for sure.
Is it rpm related or road speed related?
little misunderstanding xviper, I meant second thru sixth, not from second directly into sixth. Sorry for the confusion!!

Anyway I made an appt. for tommorow at noon, see what they'll say

It's motion related, as soon as I start moving it starts squeaking, squeaks in all gears at all speeds.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by kiza,Aug 9 2004, 04:15 PM
It's motion related, as soon as I start moving it starts squeaking, squeaks in all gears at all speeds.
So you're saying that if you get the car up to speed, push in the clutch, let off the gas and coast, it still makes this noise?
Old 08-09-2004, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 9 2004, 02:36 PM
So you're saying that if you get the car up to speed, push in the clutch, let off the gas and coast, it still makes this noise?
Yes, clutch in, clutch out, still does it
Old 08-11-2004, 05:39 PM

Ok, heres the diagnosis from the dealership

"Tech verified customer's concern and found axle nut at the left rear broke off from driveshaft. Tech recommends to replace left driveshaft assembly Y, axle nut, left rear wheel bearing, hub and K nuckle including left rear brake rotor and rear pads, possibly bent. Customer is advised this cannot be covered under extanded warranty, there was some work done on suspension and end of driveshaft broke off possibly caused by overtorquing. Customer is advised not to drive car away but it is safer to tow."

I'm taking the car to the dealership where I bought it from, for some dealer bashing. How the hell could the car pass the safety when it was this messed up. I don't know much about suspension stuff but when they were checking it they should have noticed, mofos!!!

car dealer=scammer, I hate them!
Old 08-11-2004, 05:51 PM
dut

- car stealers =

Quick Reply: What do you guys think is the problem here