S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What to do while the motor is out

Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What to do while the motor is out

So, I've had a lot of people make suggestions about other things to do/replace when I pull my blown motor and reinstall another one. I'm already going to be doing a couple other things but was looking for more suggestions/ideas. Car is a MY01 with 155k. Going back with another f20.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides fresh coolant and oil, I would probably put in a new thermostat, replace the radiator hoses, and MAYBE spark plugs depending on the ones in the new motor. Maybe a new drive belt depending on the condition. I would definitely power wash the bay or respray if you have the money
Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM

I thought about a respray but I don't feel like pulling out anything I don't have to haha. But hoses were def on the list. I'm getting a valve cover pc'd Laguna and going with prolly some blue samco to accent the valve cover. Also found some spoon brake reservoir socks too. I'll also be installing ap2 banjo bolts and running new, bigger wires for a sub. I hadn't thought about the thermostat though. If this other motor doesn't have one, I'll probably source a new one but if so, I'll likely hold off since I'll have a spare
Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by marshman
I thought about a respray but I don't feel like pulling out anything I don't have to haha. But hoses were def on the list. I'm getting a valve cover pc'd Laguna and going with prolly some blue samco to accent the valve cover. Also found some spoon brake reservoir socks too. I'll also be installing ap2 banjo bolts and running new, bigger wires for a sub. I hadn't thought about the thermostat though. If this other motor doesn't have one, I'll probably source a new one but if so, I'll likely hold off since I'll have a spare

Sounds good
Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

new clutch
Old 05-19-2013, 04:04 PM

if your adventurous, wire tuck?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:33 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I would put in a new ap2 oil pump, 4 hole oil jet bolts, and new or low mile ap2 starter. These are things that are easy to do when the motor is out , but not so easy later down the road. The oil pump will give you some peace of mind compared to a used one. I did this when I replaced my factory f20 last year. While the tranny is off consider doing a new clutch if yours has some miles on it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:09 PM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

beer. drink beer. while the motor is out, sit down and definitely have a beer.

darcy
Old 05-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
I would put in a new ap2 oil pump, 4 hole oil jet bolts, and new or low mile ap2 starter. These are things that are easy to do when the motor is out , but not so easy later down the road. The oil pump will give you some peace of mind compared to a used one. I did this when I replaced my factory f20 last year. While the tranny is off consider doing a new clutch if yours has some miles on it.
Agreed.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check condition of engine mounts. All the other suggestions are good too except I think you'd have to tear down the "new" motor to replace the oil pump. Assume you're replacing the IM & EM gaskets. Suggest you replace the O ring for the water outlet cover too. And the bleeder cap on the heater hose line if it's old & worn. Everything else is just bling. Make sure you have a good valve adjustment and good running engine before wasting money on the bling. Good luck!

Quick Reply: What to do while the motor is out