S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What to do with leaking diff?

Old 07-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with leaking diff?

Hey all, i bought my first S2K a few weeks ago, the seller had let me know that the current diff had a small leak in it when i bought it. Im curious what other people would do in my situation.
The leak seems to be coming from the top of the diff, i was under there today and dont see and visible seals that seem to be leaking.

The current diff is from the AP2 and has been put on my AP1, the seller said he thinks it has a faulty breather valve, but my local autoparts guy thinks thats very unlikely to leak from the breather valve.
The current diff has a Kazz ( or something like that name ) 1.5 LSD in it, it seems a bit clunky and loud, and it seems while doing hard turns going slowly, that its not letting the inside wheel spin less.
The current diff also has a different gear in it, i think its a different final gear, all i know is my speedo is always off.

So I think i have 3 options here.

1. Go buy a used salvaged OEM diff ( found one locally here for $450 ) the benefits of this would be the leak is fixed, and it would give me some piece of mind knowing whats going on back there, my spedo would then also be correct. Also added bonus is i am capable of swapping out a diff.

2. Pull my current diff and try and fix the breather valve. Benefits of this are its cheap, something i can do my self, and if it works then im good to go.

3. Send the car to the mechanic and tell him to figure it out, and if he has to open up the diff and replace seals, i can have him put my stock LSD back in it ( came with the car ).

Im curious what seasoned s2k drivers would do in my situation, ive heard the new LSD and final gear are big improvements but im not sure why, does the gear help with the poor low end torque?
Old 07-06-2013, 01:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like someone over-filled the diff. Drain it and and refill it with SAE 90 OR 110 GL5 to the proper level.

Old 07-06-2013, 06:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have the resources, you can jack it up level and open the fill hole. That'll tell you instantly if it was overfilled or not.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the advice, but its not overfilled, it continues to leak even when it has like 4oz of fluid in there. Ive been filling it back up just like the DIY said on this form, fill it until it starts leaking out the whole in the back of the diff, then i let it drain out any extra and put the plug back in.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sounds like who ever built the diff, damaged the case so that it will not seal between the two halves somewhere on the top side.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 AM

ohhh that could suck.. what would you advise to try and figure out the problem? Should i pull it and try and take a look for my self? Would i be able to tell where the leak is coming from?

Or just save my time and grab a OEM Diff? Also can anyone speak to the performance gains of the kazz 1.5 LSD and the different gear?