S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What disables the soft top switch once the hard top is installed ?

Old 01-08-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up What disables the soft top switch once the hard top is installed ?

Hi Folks,

What disables the soft top switch once the hard top is installed ? I'd like to raise the soft top a bit so that it's front end (when folded down) rises about a centimeter to mate with the two rubber bungs at the base of the hard top's window as this prevents the softtop from rattling but I'd hate to have to take off the hard top to be able to do this. Is there a way to bypass whatever is disabling the switch without having to go through all the aggro of taking the hard top off ?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I believe that is what the switch and wire harness are on the driver side oem hardtop catcher.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

yeah like mentioned above there is a button on the driver side rear catcher, once the weight of the hardtop is on it the button disables the soft top switch. To do what you want to do, you would have to lift the hardtop up an inch or two on the driver side and have someone activate the soft top switch for a short burst, then lower the hardtop. The other way is to pull out the wire that runs from the catcher and plugs into the rear harness behind the rear side panel, just as long as you remember that it is de-activated, so basically don't use the catcher switch/wire as designed. The wire simply clips into the vehicle harness, I believe it is behind the rear side panel, but you can follow it as needed to find the clip
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM

OK, dc2-2-ap1 and JFUSION, many thanks for your prompt replies I thought it was something like that. Looks like I'll have to lift the hardtop then (oh man what a hassle) unless I go down the other route of pulling off the trim panel to get at the cable (I wouldn't really like to mess about there though).

Just as a point of clarification, my car is a right-hand drive model and so the catcher which has the button is the right-hand side catcher, correct ?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon
OK, dc2-2-ap1 and JFUSION, many thanks for your prompt replies I thought it was something like that. Looks like I'll have to lift the hardtop then (oh man what a hassle) unless I go down the other route of pulling off the trim panel to get at the cable (I wouldn't really like to mess about there though).

Just as a point of clarification, my car is a right-hand drive model and so the catcher which has the button is the right-hand side catcher, correct ?
You only need to lift the hardtop high enough to get it off the catcher switch, so 1-2 inches, basically undo the front latches, rear catchers and just raise the driver side a small bit, but then you have to reach the softop switch , thus maybe a two person job ?.

Pulling the wire clip out of the harness might be your best long term bet, it is real easy to do, just remove the panel and pull out the clip form the harness socket.

Yes with RHD I would assume the switch is on the other side , but still the driver side in your case, it is quite small , comparable to the large end of a pencil. Good luck.

FWIW, I don't get much rattle out of my softop when my hardtop is in place. I've seen some guys put elastics on the front latches of the softop to keep them from rattling. I've put a small piece of carpet under the glass window (on the rear tray) to reduce noise from the glass rattling.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:46 PM

side
Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon' timestamp='1326135378' post='21299952

You only need to lift the hardtop high enough to get it off the catcher switch, so 1-2 inches, basically undo the front latches, rear catchers and just raise the driver side a small bit, but then you have to reach the softop switch , thus maybe a two person job ?.

Pulling the wire clip out of the harness might be your best long term bet, it is real easy to do, just remove the side panel and pull out the clip form the harness socket.

Yes with RHD I would assume the switch is on the other side , but still the driver side in your case, it is quite small , comparable to the large end of a pencil. Good luck.

FWIW, I don't get much rattle out of my softop when my hardtop is in place. I've seen some guys put elastics on the front latches of the softop to keep them from rattling. I've put a small piece of carpet under the glass window (on the rear tray) to reduce noise from the glass rattling.
OK JFUSION, I will see which method works best for me. I did not have softtop rattle when the softtop was mated to the rubber stoppers at the bottom of the hardtop glass. I actually grabbed and shook the softtop in the position it is now and I can actually hear it rattle as when I'm driving. Wouldn't one have to remove the running board kick-plate to get this side panel off...at least that's how the manual shows it's to be done ?
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM

Hi Folks,

I got this sorted today with the help of my brother..we un-lacthed the front latches and rear catchers, raised the top an inch or two and gave the soft-top switch a short burst to raise the soft-top accordingly...after about 3 attempts (cos I'm fussy !) the soft-top leading edge finally lined up enough with the 2 rubber bungs which are at the base of the hard-top. Re-latched the front catchers and locked the rear catchers afterwards...job done...much better than removing trim panels, pulling out harnesses and connectors imo. Thank you to all who contributed on this thread.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM

mission accomplished !
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM

mission accomplished !