S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What a day....broken bolt =[

Old 01-22-2011, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a day....broken bolt =[

Hello all..
Has been a bad day today...as i stupidly broke the bolt that connect the ground wire to the engine block, the groun wire is from the front subframe to the engine block.

Is there any other way that i can connect the ground wire to, instead of the engine block? e.g by pass it? As Im going to do a big engine project in the summer so I dont want to take the engine out and drill the bolt out, it may be very costy...

Big thanks for any help!!!!
THanks
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

I haven't looked at mine for reference but two things. Can you extend it over to the other one beside it and double them up, grounds are grounds it doesn't matter where there go for the most part. Secondly can you get a nut behind the hole of the broken bolt ?, if so drill out the broken bolt get a new bolt and nut combo with a lock washer and put the ground back on. Lastly if you can drill out the bolt and not harm the threads just get a new bolt from Honda or a fastener shop and replace it, depending on how tight that bolt is in there.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:44 AM

It is very tight... and the space is very tight too...there is no room for a drill to drill out the bolt....

This is the diagrem of the ground wire and the broken bolt

THanks11
Old 01-22-2011, 05:51 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe I'm not understanding correctly, but it seems like you're talking about the ground from the engine block? It doesn't matter if it grounds to the subframe or the frame. I would think you'd be able to ground off any other big engine bolt, no?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:46 AM

IM not soo sure mate...but i have tried to start the engine without that wire....the car start...but when you shut it off..you wont able to start it again as the it will run out of battery..

I think it is from the engine block to the subframe....or either way...it is a wire connecting the subframe and engine block
Old 01-22-2011, 06:56 AM

This is a proper image of the wire....
THanks all!!!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Be careful where you put that ground.

just a small anecdote, a while back ford was having problems with main bearings going bad in one of their pickup truck engines, come to find out when they designed the engine, one of the grounds going to the engine block was actually letting electricity travel through the crankshaft itself en route to ground, and it was creating arcing within the main bearing to crankshaft clearances and burning up bearings.

moral of the story, you should either buy a 90 degree drill and drill the bolt out, or get that ground as close as possible to origional location.

just putting the ground anywhere, simply isnt good enough.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is so not worse than a broken subframe bolt lol jus sayin. Anyhow dnt worry brah !! you can prett much attach a ground anywhere that is a good surface such as no paint to block conductivity. just find a new place since space is tight and when the engine comes out for your big build fix it properly at that time !! best of luck
Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM

I have no idea where can i put the ground to.....any suggestion?? Is it have to be connected with the engine block?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:03 AM

Received 3,798 Likes on 2,676 Posts

if it is on the engine block I would try to put it back on the block, I think that is important, when I first read your post I thought it was mounted on the frame.

I broke an engine mount bolt recently , I bought a right hand drill, and a stubby drill bit in order to fit into the tight space and fix the issue with a helicoil kit. That was a very tight space to access between the block and frame, much like your scenario. Sometimes you have to buy tools just for special projects/repairs.

You can buy longer ground wires if you can find a bolt that is easier to access, as long as it is on the block. Worse comes to worse take it to a mechanic, someone with the right tools could do the repair in short order and the cost would be welll worth it with less headaches.

Quick Reply: What a day....broken bolt =[