S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What color is the fluid in our struts?

Old 02-12-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the wheel off when I got home from work and took a good look at the shock and reservoir. The reservoir itself appeared clean. The top of the spring on the shock had a gritty buildup, but hard to say what it is. It may just be normal grime. I stood on the doorsill and bounced the car a bit. The right side didn't appear any different than bouncing the left side, so at least the shock seems to still be functioning normally. I bought the car new, so I know all the fluids are Honda installed. I just wish I could find out if they use something thin and bright red anyplace between the rear wheels. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

Thanks
Old 02-12-2003, 04:55 PM
Avi

On 8/23/02 I had the bushings replaced because the left one was leaking oil the same description that you give. Honda decided to replace both and according to Honda it was the first time they had this problem. The work was done by Marin Honda in Corte Madera Ca. I hope this helps. Avi
Old 02-12-2003, 05:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll be darned. If I had known this in advance, I would not have stressed them so much. I better go check to see if they are leaking.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:42 AM

On 8/23/02 I had the bushings replaced because the left one was leaking oil the same description that you give. Honda decided to replace both and according to Honda it was the first time they had this problem. The work was done by Marin Honda in Corte Madera Ca. I hope this helps. Avi
AVI,
Thanks, that's a big help. Do you recall the fluid being red, or was it covered with too much grit to tell?
Old 02-13-2003, 04:52 AM

Remember that it may not have ceom from your car at all... It could just be the remnants from a cherry slurpy - or some poor squirrel.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:57 AM

Well, that's just great! Now you've got me thinking how good a slurpy would go with my squirrel hoagie.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:58 AM

Mmmmm...squirrel hoagie... Now I'm hungry!
Old 02-13-2003, 08:03 AM

Avi and I have communicated by PM and he has confirmed that the fluid was pinkish/red. I'll get in touch with my dealer and let them take another look. It sure seems to me like this has nailed it down. I'll update everybody after the dealer has had time to check it out.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:22 AM

Avi was kind enough to fax me his invoice relating to the repairs on his car. I've forwarded the fax to my dealer and am just waiting to hear from them.

This site and the people that participate are a valuable resource that goes beyond anything I have seen on any other forum.

Thanks to everybody that replied, and especially Avi.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:01 PM

Update:

The dealer looked at my car again and has confirmed the leak. The bushings are on order and should be installed within the next week. They said I could drive it until then, but I'll probably stick with the beater. The dealer was very apologetic for not having found the problem the first time around. If I had not noticed the few drops of red fluid on my garage floor, I would never have spotted it at all.

Quick Reply: What color is the fluid in our struts?