S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

what is the best oil to use

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

amsoil has the 4-ball wear test results to back up their claims.

if you don't like the fact that the results is on their website, i'd be glad to see a 4-ball wear test result comparing amsoil with other oil that is posted or done anywhere else...

until then...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Oct 28 2008, 01:17 PM
amsoil has the 4-ball wear test results to back up their claims.

if you don't like the fact that the results is on their website, i'd be glad to see a 4-ball wear test result comparing amsoil with other oil that is posted or done anywhere else...

until then...
this test is not the end all and be all either.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought my 350z last year, I joined my350z.com and they had a thread with oil that was sent in to blackstone for analysis. It was pretty amazing the results because everyone was using all types of oil and surprisingly the best one for the VQHR engine was Castrol.

It would be nice to know what brand would be ideal for the s2k engine.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Oct 28 2008, 10:21 AM
this test is not the end all and be all either.
never said it was...but it is an indicator.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Oct 28 2008, 01:37 PM
never said it was...but it is an indicator.
How soon we get sucked in since that great Duralube "ball bearing" test that was debunked so many years ago.
Yeah, right. It's an indicator ............ of great marketing!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 PM

^
that's news to me that the 4-ball joint wear test is irrelevant.

can you back up your claims that it is an irrelevant test?
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM

What is the Four Ball Wear Test? How good a predictor of engine wear is it?
The Four Ball Wear Test puts one rotating ball against three fixed balls under specific conditions of pressure, temperature, revolutions per minute and duration. The test may be used to evaluate the friction- and wear-control ability of liquid lubricants or greases in sliding contact. The Four Ball Wear Test is a good laboratory tool for developing oils with good engine wear control.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Significance and Use

The four-ball wear-test method can be used to determine the relative wear-preventing properties of greases under the test conditions and if the test conditions are changed the relative ratings may be different. No correlation has been established between the four-ball wear test and field service. The test method cannot be used to differentiate between Extreme Pressure (EP) and Non-Extreme Pressure (Non-EP) Greases.

1. Scope

1.1 This test method covers the determination of the wear preventive characteristics of greases in sliding steel-on-steel applications. It is not intended to predict wear characteristics with metal combinations other than steel-on-steel or to evaluate the extreme pressure characteristics of the grease.

1.2 The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as the standard except where the test apparatus or consumable parts are only available in other units. In such cases, these will be regarded as standard. The values given in parentheses are for information only.

1.3 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety problems, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.

2. Referenced Documents

D4172 Test Method for Wear Preventive Characteristics of Lubricating Fluid (Four-Ball Method)
D6300 Practice for Determination of Precision and Bias Data for Use in Test Methods for Petroleum Products and Lubricants
B3.12 for Metal Balls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Index Terms

four-ball; grease; wear; Four-ball method; Lubricating grease; Wear testing--petroleum products; ICS Number Code 75.100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DOI: 10.1520/D2266-01

ASTM International is a member of CrossRef.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I used mobile 1 at my last oil change and this time, when I drained out the old oil, the pan was almost empty. I never noticed any oil burning/weird looking smoke/etc... Then app. 3 days ago, I randomly checked my oil, and it was up above the max. fill level... I clearly remember draining every last drop out of it, replacing the filter, then refilling it with the manual required amount of 4.1 US Quarts, done. The oil was also really dirty looking... I'm going to try and use the new valvoline next time... any opinions??
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Duralube fudged those tests. Any test can be fudged, no matter how "official" it's made to seem. It's gullible people who stand by their authenticity. That's what make good marketing so much fun and profitable.
Amsoil all the way!

Quick Reply: what is the best oil to use